Filed under Video Game Review

Animal Crossing Turns a New Leaf

Animal Crossing Turns a New Leaf

Overview

animal-crossing-amiibo

Amiibo are plastic figures that may be used in a variety of games with the use of NFC technology. NFC allows objects such as Amiibo figures and electronic card passes to work. Here are some of the compatible Amiibo.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, dubbed ACNL by fans, is the fourth entry in the Animal Crossing series and has brought a boat load of new features to the series. Now, the player is no longer a villager in a town of animals. Instead, the player will assume the role of mayor for the town. Along with this addition, it recently received a free update from Nintendo. Some included parts of the update are: the new campground, MEOW Coupons, the ability to scan Amiibo figures, and more! In the campground, you can use the MEOW Coupons to buy items that cannot be found anywhere else in the game. MEOW stands for Mutual Exchange of Wealth, and these coupons can be earned for free by doing town initiatives. These town initiatives can range from watering flowers to fishing for sharks.

ACNL is quite a slow-paced and relaxing game. On the first day of playing the game, it encourages players to relax rather than dealing with their mayoral duties! Usually, quick reflexes aren’t needed, although fishing requires these reflexes. When players fish, they set their rod towards a shadow of a fish. If the lure is close enough to the shadow, the fish will poke at the lure until it bites. Depending on the fish, players may need to be quick with reeling in the fish by pressing the A button.

Starting the game, players choose their name along with the name of their town. For the first time in the series, players can choose from four semi-randomly generated towns. Due to their random nature, no one town will ever be the same. After this, the player answers three questions resulting in the player’s face. The player’s villager is based on how the player answered the questions earlier. When players arrive in town, they can choose the location of their home, being another new feature of ACNL.

As said by the title, the player’s village is filled with animals. There are a total of 333 possible villagers that can move to your town, although players can only have 10 villagers in their town. There is roughly a two-percent chance for players to have the same six starting animals in their town.

Review

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is an excellent game for players to begin with. New Leaf really was the only game to stray from the original formula of collect items, upgrade your house, and fill a museum. With the addition of the tropical island with no name, making money is easy due to beetle-catching. Each beetle roughly sells for 10,000 Bells, Bells being the in-game currency, allowing players to make easy money. Although there are many new features, the game may get stale after a while. I give this a solid 3.8/5 stars.