• There are only a few yearbooks left! Come see Mrs. Player this week with $65 if you want one.

Josh Etheridge takes the field

Imagine running across the lacrosse field on a hot summer day trying to rush the defenders while they try to chase you out of their territory…and you still get through to score against the goalie! Josh Etheridge does this almost every weekend while playing lacrosse. Lacrosse is a sport played with lacrosse sticks and a hard rubber ball which the players try to use to score against the goalie. Josh Etheridge is just like every other 7th grader, except he and his team have games almost every weekend. Josh plays lacrosse for travel teams and the Rec. The teams that Josh plays on are Team Florida and Team Gulf Breeze. The coaches are Coach Machey for Rec and Coach Markum for travel. The home field they play on is the Gulf Breeze Football Field by the Rec. There are about 25 kids on his team, and one of those players is Ben Neumann. Ben says, “Josh is good at lacrosse and he gets almost all the goals and has nice passes and is not a ball-hog.”

Josh has been playing for six years. Right now, his starting position is attack and he has scored and assisted in scoring too many times to count. His highest scoring game in attack was 10 points in the semi-finals of a Rec tournament. Their best team record is undefeated in both the leagues he plays in. Josh’s team is one of the best lacrosse teams because of their multiple records of undefeated and the worst (scoring) game they played was a loss of only 4 points. The most painful loss Josh has ever had was 6-5 in a championship game. His worst injury was a broken thumb and hurting his growth plate in his right ankle. Some places that his teams play at are Louisiana, Mississippi, Perdido, and Destin, among others. Several family members watch his games including his dad, brother and sometimes his mom. Josh plays other sports besides lacrosse such as basketball, which he has been playing for a couple of years. In some seasons both basketball and lacrosse take place at the same time. Josh loves all the sports he plays, but he loves lacrosse the most.