Michael Werner Student Spotlight

Michael Werner Student Spotlight

Michael Werner conducting his music at the spring concert.

Mrs. Player

Mrs. Player

Mrs. Player

The Spring Band Concert is a concert that “displays the talents of 250 middle school musicians and brings joy to people.” This year, one student definitely displayed his talent. Michael Werner, 8th grade, a dedicated band student, took it upon himself to do what no band student has done before. He composed and conducted music for the  traditional Spring Band Concert at the Saenger Theater. Michael did not expect it to be part of such a large concert, but his skills came to good use.

Michael is originally a percussionist, which means he plays many instruments in the percussion section. He even plans on being a drum major whenever he is a senior in high school.  However, he recently started using StaffPad. StaffPad is a program that helps with composition. It is on a device, like a phone or tablet, and you can use an active pen to make handwritten music. The program converts it into an actual score that can be printed out and used. Also, Michael got help from his mom, sister, and Audrey Gordon, another student. The piece he composed is called “The First Wave.” Once Michael had the music, he and Ms. Smithey taught it to the symphonic band and practiced it with them. One band student thinks that Michael is a good leader for the band. Lily Sebastian, 8th grade, said, “Michael’s music brought me a feeling of sorrow and excitement in a good way.”

Michael Werner said, “I’ve always liked music and I just wanted to make some.” Mrs. Smithey said that she would let anyone compose music if they wanted to and Lily Sebastian said that she would love to try to compose music as well.

Michael made a difference at the Spring Band Concert and he composed a piece of music that GBMS will never forget.

Michael Werner bows for the crowd at the end of his wonderful performance.