Filed under Band

Dixie Band Camp 2017

These students attended the summer 2017 Dixie Band Camp.

You could have an uneventful summer full of boredom, or you could have the time of your life at Dixie Band Camp, where you could travel with all your friends for a week to learn about music like never before. That’s what 52 of Mrs. Smithey’s outstanding band students did this summer.

Near the beginning of summer, the band students arrived at Gulf Breeze Elementary School (GBES) to depart for Dixie Band Camp.  After a long, exciting journey all the way to Arkansas, students arrived on the campus and unloaded all of their luggage into their dorm rooms where they would be staying for the next week. After settling in, they went to Ida Waldren, an auditorium in which they met to discuss the plans for each day.  After orientation, the students made their way to the audition rooms where they played the assigned material and were placed in the appropriate band, 1-10.

Although Dixie’s purpose is to teach students more about music, there are a handful of fun activities to take part in as well.  According to 7th grader Zach Giovanini, karaoke and wild river country were his favorite activities. Over the course of one day, each student has two band rehearsals and two sectionals to study their music for their concerts.   7th grader Lily Scott said, “Sectionals was one of my favorite parts of band camp because I got to play with just the 2nd band trumpets.”  She also liked meeting new band members and directors from different parts of Arkansas.

“Dixie Band Camp is a fun way to improve your music skills.”

None of this could be possible without the one and only Mrs. Smithey.  Mrs. Smithey has taken students to band camp for 27 years now. She started going as a middle scholer herself, and continued when she took over the band.  Mrs. Smithey got the honor and privilege to direct 1st band at Dixie.  All the bands performed challenging music and worked hard to pull off an amazing concert!

Campers enjoy a moment of silliness.