• Yearbooks are now $50! Order at Jostens.com before the price goes up again!

Filed under Features

The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Mr. Fearon and his family might say they had a mind-altering experience seeing the eclipse in totality.

On August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse occurred over 14 states. These states included, but were not limited to, Oregon, Wyoming, Iowa, and Missouri. These states were in the path of totality, a path on which the moons shadow traces on Earth.  Seeing this eclipse is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, which is why GBMS science teacher Mr. Casey Fearon went to one of the best spots to see it with his family.

The Great American Eclipse

This eclipse was the first total solar eclipse that crossed all of the US since 1979. Which is why you’ve probably heard people call this eclipse “The Great American Eclipse.” An eclipse can last minutes to hours, however this one took an hour and a half to go from the West to the East coast. It lasted about three minutes and eight seconds in each city. While watching the eclipse, you may have seen bead-like blobs of light. These are called Bailey’s Beads. Near the time of totality, only one of the Bailey’s Beads are visible, this is called the Diamond Ring Effect because it looks like the gem at the end of a ring. Shadow bands are also part of an eclipse, they are wavy lines of alternating light and darkness.

Mr. Fearon’s eclipse trip

Mr. Fearon traveled an eight-hour drive to Franklin, North Carolina, with his family to watch the once-in-a-lifetime experience. During an eclipse, it is very important to use eye protection because of UV rays that can damage your retina, so Mr. Fearon used NASA approved solar glasses. Due to the darkness, some people may feel sleepy afterwards, so we asked if he may have felt sleepy or different.“I didn’t feel sleepy but being there and seeing it was incredible. I kind of had a double rainbow moment. But it’s the difference between listening to your favorite band on the radio then from a concert, it’s just that big of a difference.” How dark was it when the eclipse reached totality? “It got pretty dark, not quite night time. One of the coolest things that I didn’t know was going to happen…I took video…the sunset was every direction. I turned all the way around and it looked like a sunset.” Mr. Fearon says that next time there is an eclipse, you should “go see the eclipse! Get yourself in the path of totality.”

Meanwhile, back at GBMS…

While Mr. Fearon was enjoying the total experience, the rest of the students and faculty at GBMS were able to experience at least a part of the spectacle. Right at the moment of dismissal just happened to be the peak of the eclipse from our part of the world. While only a partial eclipse was visible, it was still exciting to everyone. Students with their own eclipse glasses stopped to see the show for a moment before going home for the day.

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Play the Guess Who Game!

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Happy Trails, Friends!

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Relay for Life

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

FSPA Fun

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Cool Plans for a Hot Summer

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Racing toward the finish line: tips for the last 9 weeks

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Autism Awareness Month

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

GBMS Springs into Testing

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

Titus takes the prize

• The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!

Features

GBMS is not afraid to get into the dirt

The Eclipse of 2017 shines on!