• Yearbooks are now $50! Order at Jostens.com before the price goes up again!

Filed under News

NJHS Tops the School!

From left, this year’s NJHS officers are: Paige Smith (historian); Ann Hitpas (president); Lauren Kellen (secretary); Grace Mims (vice president); and Ethen Pensyl (treasurer).

Every year in the spring, the school selects a new group of National Junior Honors Society (NJHS) members. NJHS is an 8th grade society which honors student achievement in behavior and good grades. NJHS meets on the last Thursday of every month to discuss how the members can help around the school and community. In order to get into this elite group, a student cannot have gotten a referral all throughout their middle school years. They must have a 93% cumulative average throughout their 6th and 7th grade years. During the year, the NJHS committee helps to set up fun activities and fundraisers for the students at GBMS and sometimes even GBHS. Some of these activities include Homecoming Week, Kick Cancer Kickball Tournament, canned food drives, and random acts of kindness activities. 

NJHS is also all about electing leaders to help head the rest of NJHS and represent the school as a whole. This year, NJHS had quite a lot of candidates ranging from five running for president all the way to seven running for historian. In the end, NJHS elected these officers for the 2017-2018 school year: Ann Hitpas (President), Grace Mims (Vice President), Lauren Kellen (Secretary), Ethan Pensyl (Treasurer), and Paige Smith (Historian). 

Generally, when people hear the word president, they think of the president of the United States. But there are also presidents in community groups, such as Ann Hitpas. Ann decided to join NJHS because, “I have always heard great things about NJHS and how NJHS is a great way to give back to our community.” Originally, she thought about running for secretary or vice resident instead of president, but then one of Ann’s friends encouraged her to run for president.

“At first I was really scared and unsure about the position and then I had to convince myself of my full potential and that I would be great at the role.”  Ann feels she is the perfect person for her new position because she is great at running events, public speaking, and helping others. Ann believes NJHS is an important part of GBMS because, “It is a great way to get kids to help participate in the community and help out.” Ann believes she was chosen for her position because in her speech, she was able to keep everyone interested by telling weird and corny jokes and making everyone laugh. 

Serving right alongside the president is Grace Mims, vice president. Grace decided to join NJHS because she wanted to be a part of an organization that focuses on bettering not just  our school, but the community and world as well. Grace decided  to run for vice president because, “I knew that a lot of people were running for president and I wanted a fair shot.” Grace says that during 6th and 7th grade, she knew she wanted to be president of NJHS; however, when election time rolled around, vice president seemed the most realistic. She feels she fits best for this position because she tends to focus on the big picture and ways that everyone can play a part in decision making. So far, Grace’s favorite part about NJHS is watching everyone’s minds come together to make a decision or to problem solve. Though Grace never had siblings in NJHS she does have many friends in the organization, ready to help her every step of the way. 

Next in line is Lauren Kellen, NJHS secretary.  Lauren joined NJHS to help the community and the people who live in it. She wanted to join the club ever since she was in fifth grade. “It was my main goal to get into the society by keeping my grades up.” Lauren decided she would run for secretary because she really enjoys being organized and she thought that could be a helpful and important aspect. “I really like how students run the society and how much each individual’s opinion matters.” Lauren thinks NJHS is great way for leaders of the school to step up and join together to create change in the community. 

Ethen Pensyl is NJHS’ new treasurer. Ethen joined NJHS because he says he loves volunteering so NJHS opened an opportunity for him. Although Ethen found out about the club last year, he recently found his interest in the position of treasurer. Though he joined NJHS to volunteer, he also loves counting money, therefore making him the perfect candidate. He feels most fit for his position since he loves organizing and it helps that he got perfect scores on the past two math FSA tests. Ethen says, “NJHS is so involved in the community, making it a great organization.” Ethen can’t wait to start his new position. 

And last but definitely not least, Paige Smith is NJHS’ new historian and loves the job already. “I wanted to join because NJHS does a lot of good for the community. I also felt like being a member of NJHS since it sets a better example for younger classmates.” Paige said she was unaware of the positions’ responsibilities until this year, and as soon as she heard about historian, she knew it was for her. Paige feels fit for this job since a historian should capture the events with pictures, and lucky for NJHS, Paige can do that with her knowledge of photography. She thinks NJHS provides a great example of a student-run organization. “I love the way we work together on committees to do good things and accomplish goals.” Though Paige hasn’t yet had siblings to be a part of NJHS, she hopes her two younger siblings can follow in her footsteps. 

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

Freedom Week inspires GBMS students

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

New Student Welcome party brings all kinds of surprises

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

News Briefs

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

Welcome back from Mr. Brandon

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

GBMS shines at National History Day

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

#respectthephin

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

2017 World Press Freedom Day

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

8th graders celebrate at annual awards ceremony

• NJHS Tops the School!

News

The Wait is Over!

NJHS Tops the School!