• Yearbooks are now $50! Order at Jostens.com before the price goes up again!

Filed under News

Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

Left to right: Natalia Mercado, Alejandra Burger, Savannah Jacobi, and Zachary Meaux. Not pictured: Avery Branstetter.

photo by Raven Price

photo by Raven Price

For the second year in a row, GBMS has Spanish club open for eighth graders every Tuesday morning in Ms. McCoy’s room. During Spanish Club, students enjoy Hispanic inspired treats, learn about Spanish heritage, and socialize. This year, Spanish Club received new eighth grade officers to help run the club. 

First, Alejandra Burger, is the new president. Alejandra decided to join Spanish Club since she comes from a Latina background and she thinks it’s very fitting for her personality. Once she joined Spanish Club, president was the position she was determined to attain. Alejandra thinks she was elected because she’s a great leader and because she can make everyone smile. Alejandra feels that Spanish Club is a valuable part of GBMS because she thinks it’s good for younger kids to learn different languages and cultures that may follow them through their lifetime. Alejandra’s last message was, “Thank you for electing me as your president for Spanish Club!”  

Savannah Jacobi, vice president, joined Spanish because she says, “I love Spanish and I thought it would be awesome to learn more about Spanish heritage.” Savannah knew she wanted to become vice president as soon as she heard about the officer elections. Savannah knew she was the perfect candidate, considering she loves being a leader and helping people learn about Spanish heritage. “I think I was elected vice president because the other members of Spanish Club knew that I could efficiently lead while I also help other people at the same time.”  Though Savannah has only been a part of Spanish Club for a couple of weeks, she feels that it is a very important part of the school since Spanish culture and just the language in general are all around the United States. So far, Savannah’s first year of Spanish Club is a success.  

Avery Branstetter, secretary, decided to start going to Spanish Club meetings because she wanted to learn more about Spanish culture. She decided to run for secretary because she wanted to learn more about Spanish culture and more about the language. She also wanted to be more involved in the club and help to make plans and help plan out events. Avery says she knew she wanted to run for secretary ever since she heard that officer elections were happening. She thinks two of the reasons she was elected are  her neat hand writing and her organizational skills. Avery’s favorite part of Spanish Club so far is getting to be with her friends and learn about Spanish culture. 

Next up is Zachary Meaux, treasurer. Zachary joined Spanish Club to simply learn how to fluently speak Spanish. Then he learned he could apply for a role that could help shape the club. Zachary feels fit for his position because he enjoys collecting and counting money. He hopes he was elected because he tries to be friends with everyone and he hopes the members trust him with the club’s funds. Zachary says that the rest of the members make a great team to work with. 

Last but not least, Natalia Mercado is the Spanish Club publicist. Natalia made the decision to join Spanish Club because,“I wanted to be more involved with the beautiful language of Spanish.” Natalia felt that the Spanish language needed to be understood not just around GBMS, but also the Gulf Breeze community. Since Natalia is a part of the GBMS ITV staff, it makes her job of spreading the word about Spanish Club easy. Natalia thinks Spanish is a gorgeous language and she says anyone able to come to Spanish Club should do it and learn at least one word of Spanish.  

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

NJHS Tops the School!

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

Freedom Week inspires GBMS students

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

New Student Welcome party brings all kinds of surprises

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

News Briefs

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

Welcome back from Mr. Brandon

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

GBMS shines at National History Day

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

#respectthephin

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

2017 World Press Freedom Day

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

8th graders celebrate at annual awards ceremony

• Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!

News

The Wait is Over!

Hola, Welcome to Spanish Club!