• Good luck on your upcoming semester exams! Study well!

Filed under Features

Christmas Traditions

Dogs Enjoy Christmas time!

Dogs Enjoy Christmas time!

Dogs Enjoy Christmas time!

There are many Christmas traditions that families across the globe partake in and countless traditions that families everywhere have. Some include the Christmas Pickle, playing with an Elf on the Shelf, Secret Santa, and hanging Jingle Bells.  

The Christmas Pickle 

It is said that the Christmas Pickle tradition started when a starving prisoner hanging on to life begged a guar

The Christmas Pickle hanging from a tree.

d for the last pickle. The guard took pity on him and gave him the pickle. That last bit of food gave him mental and physical strength and the prisoner lived on. That act of giving by the guard was just like the giving acts of Santa. 

On Christmas Eve, families place their pickle ornament next to Santa’s milk and cookies. Then overnight Santa Claus hides the pickle on the Christmas tree and leaves an extra present for the child who finds the pickle first. Then on Christmas morning, all the children go around the tree and search for the pickle.

The Elf on The Shelf 

The Elf on The Shelf is an elf that Santa sends to your home a few days before Christmas to see how well you are behaving. When they arrive, you can name your elf, you can read about your elf, but you must not touch your elf or they will lose all their magic. Each day they sit patiently watching if you have been following the rules, listening to adults, and behaving properly. Then at night the elf flies back up to the North Pole and reports to Santa if you were bad or good. Finally, on Christmas Eve your elf flies away with Santa, but don’t be sad, they’ll come back next year.

The elves hang out on the Christmas tree.

Secret Santa 

Every year around Christmas, families and friends come together and do Secret Santa. Everyone takes a name out of a hat and chooses a Secret Santa, but no one is allowed to know who anyone else has. Then everyone has to choose the best gift they can find for their Secret Santa. Finally, on Christmas Eve they all join together to share their gifts, and everyone can guess who they have. There are many different ways that friends and families can personalize their game of Secret Santa. For example, they can play Dirty Secret Santa (were people can switch their gifts), they can only get funny gifts, or a version in which no one can even see the wrapping of each other’s gifts.

Jingle Bells 

The song Jingle Bells is one of the most popular songs played during Christmas time, however most people  have forgotten the original Jingle Bells: the actual bells! Jingle Bells became very popular after the famous movie  The Polar Express came out. In the movie, the boy could hear the ring of the bell meaning he believed, but when others could not hear the sound they did not believe. Soon everyone had Jingle Bells and wanted to hear the beautiful sound they made. Still today everyone has the bells around their house to make sure they still believe.

A bell gets displayed on a Christmas tree.

Many families have their own traditions and the amount is endless. However, no matter what the tradition, it’s important that everyone is with the people they love to share the joy with.