• There are only a few yearbooks left! Come see Mrs. Player this week with $65 if you want one.

Filed under Band

The GBMS Band is satisfying almost all the senses with its newest edition, a Christmas tree

Mickey Mouse sits atop the tree and conducts the band.

A beautiful tree in the band room brings the best things together: music and Christmas. It has an assortment of Christmas elves and musical ornaments. Thanks to the generosity of Mrs. Marina Kesler and Mrs. Susan Smithey, plans for a band tree were made on November 1. Along with Mrs. Theresa Moore, and Mrs. Barbara Scott, the four created a masterpiece to be a tradition throughout the years. Overall, about seven hours were spent December 4-8 in making this tree the best that it can be. Countless hours were put into planning it beforehand, ensuring it is creative and unique. The tree is a beautiful spectacle, inspiring awe in all who go to the band room.

A portrait of Pyotr Tchaikovsky hangs with one of his most treasured pieces, the Nutcracker.

Inspired by a trip to Washington, D.C., Mrs. Kesler decorated the tree with sheet music. Last Christmas, a hotel in D.C. had a Constitution tree filled with copies of important documents. On our tree, Mrs. Smithey provided shrunken copies of sheet music and had them laminated. Then, a portrait of each piece’s composer was hung with the music. Christmas ornaments were put with the music too, such as a nutcracker ornament with The Three Minute Nutcracker. A luxurious red ribbon ties the whole thing together, adding to the Christmas vibe. This also teaches the students history of music. They can learn who wrote what and see how the famous composers, such as Mozart, looked like.

The tree also has the instruments of the band. Students love to see what they play shining brightly amongst the vibrant green branches. This is also a chance for others to see the parts of their fellow musicians’ instruments in greater detail. These ornaments are both rare, like the bass clarinet, and unique. Even the base of the tree is an instrument, a drum! Red and gold, it brings the holidays and music together. The instruments with their shining silvers, blacks, and golds, add another element to the tree, filling it with the magic of music.

A Christmas elf plays his instrument.

The color theme of the tree is, of course, Christmas colors. It’s covered in red and gold sparkly picks and green and red ribbon. Christmas elves sit along the tree, making everything merry and bright. Classic Christmas ornaments, such as glittery balls, act as accent pieces. Across the tree are the letters spelling “band.” The tree’s topper is an adorable Mickey Mouse, holding a baton, he “conducts” the band.

This tree is a wonderful way to bring the happy holidays to the classroom, but still allows the class to be productive and successful. Also, seeing the tree helps the band put more energy into their concert music for the Winter Concert this Thursday, December 14. Its spirited colors and gleaming instruments put all of the band into a great mood                                                                                      and determination to make their playing as beautiful as the tree.

A Tinker Bell ornament conducts the band. This represents Mrs. Smithey because she can fix any broken instrument.