• Mrs. Becky Grace is our non-instructional employee of the year. Congratulations!

• Congratulations to Mrs. Christy Morgan, GBMS Teacher of the Year!

• Yearbooks are now $60! Last day to order at Jostens.com is Feb. 28!

Filed under Teacher Spotlight

Ms. Barber Helps Out at Flori Bama Rescue

Animal organizations give food, water, and warmth to lost, stray, or abused dogs….. Until they are adopted. But sometimes they need a little extra help in order to be adopted, so what do the organizations do? They  get amazing volunteers like Ms. Sherri Barber to foster these precious pooches, and those volunteers try to find them a forever home.

Fostering at Flori Bama

How did Ms. Barber come to fostering at Flori Bama? She says, “I used to watch Pitbulls and Parolees, and it made me so sad, I decided to start fostering.”  Ms. Barber’s sister worked at the Humane Society, and offered to get her started there. However, she wanted small dogs, so she came across Flori Bama. Fostering isn’t just giving a dog water and food, there are other things that need to be done as well, such as getting the pup used to a leash or other things in the house that they may have been abused with. Ms. Barber has only been fostering for a year and a half now, but has given an outstanding number of eight dogs forever homes.

Tulip, Daisy, and Rosie

Some dogs come and go but these ones are forever. Their names are Rosie, Tulip, and Daisy. Tulip was Ms. Barber’s first dog. She was adopted at The Hotel for Cats and Dogs in January a few years ago. One and a half years later, Daisy was adopted on Mother’s Day. She is also from The Hotel for Cats and Dogs. Rosie is her third dog; she wasn’t adopted from the place where Daisy and Tulip came from, but from Foster Fail. A foster fail is when a person fostering a dog, just loves that dog too much to let him or her go, so they adopt it. But luckily it was because Ms. Barber fell in love with this cute little pooch, and just had to adopt her. Since Ms. Barber’s dogs and her fostered dogs live under the same roof, you might wonder if they get along. The answer is yes, they do. She says that they actually help foster dogs to be more social. Since Rosie was abused before being adopted, foster dogs learn that they don’t have to be hurt and sad anymore. After a foster dog is adopted and leaves to live in his or her forever home it would be expected for Rosie, Daisy, and Tulip to be sad that their play mate has left. But that’s actually not true, Ms. Barber says that they actually seem fine. It’s probably because they know they won’t have to share any of the attention.

All in all, Ms. Barber does a great job in helping poor dogs, who have sadly been abused or neglected. She gives them food, water, love, and a forever home.