• There are only a few yearbooks left! Come see Mrs. Player this week with $65 if you want one.

Filed under News

UPDATE! Students compete in Geography Bee

These 10 finalists competed in the last round of the GBMS Geography Bee in December.

News alert! Corbin Aubuchon moves to state!  The National Geographic Society says, “Congratulations to Gulf Breeze Middle School student Corbin Aubuchon, who has been notified by the National Geographic Society that he is one of the semifinalists eligible to compete in the 2018 Florida National Geographic State Bee. The contest will be held at Jacksonville University on Friday, April 6, 2018”

On December 8, 10 finalists in the GBMS Geography Bee competed in the final round of the competition. The students were asked a series of questions to test their knowledge of the geography of Earth. Mrs. Turk states that “The questions were varied–covering state and country locations, major rivers and mountain ranges,  ecosystems, oceans, etc.” The winners were Naseh Sukherab in third place, Amber Collins in second, and Corbin Aubuchon in first place.

Corbin Aubuchon, 8th grade, was the champion of the GBMS Geography Bee, and will go on to try to qualify for the state bee.

Leading up to this event, there was a preliminary round that took place on December 1. In this round, 31 contestants competed. They were: Muhammad Abdullah, Olivia Ammon, Corbin Aubuchon, Ben Burge, Adeline Campbell, Cooper Carlock, Kent Carruth, Amber Collins, Zachary Coughlin, Holland Davidson, Adrienne Flowers, Rafael Garcia, Bianca Gatmaitan, Isabelle Gatmaitan, Claire Heigele, James Hu, Alexander Jenkins, Andy Kellen, Cayden Martinez, Patrick O’Grady, Canon Pene, Caeley Preston, Ian Sanchez, Reese Sides, Eli Smith, Naseh Sukhera, Berkeley Thomas, Luke White, and Caleb Wooden. The winners who went on to the final round were Corbin Aubuchan, Cooper Carlock, Kent Carruth, Amber Collins, Bianca Gatmaitan, Isabelle Gatmaitan, Caeley Preston, Naseh Sukhera, Berkeley Thomas, and Luke White. (Bold names were the 10 finalists.)

The GBMS school bee is actually the first step in a national competition. On the National Geographic Bee website it states, “The National Geographic Bee is an annual competition organized by the National Geographic Society, designed to inspire and reward students’ curiosity about the world. Students in grades four through eight (4-8) from 10,000 schools across the United States will compete in the 2018 National Geographic Bee for a chance to win college scholarships and the glory of being the National Geographic Bee Champion.”

Corbin’s next big step is to take a test to qualify for the state competition. He says he is preparing for the State Bee by “learning the names of all the world’s countries and where they are. I am also learning the capitals of states and countries as well as world currencies and languages.” Everyone is wishing Corbin  good luck in qualifying for state and hopefully further in the future!

1 Comment

One Response to “UPDATE! Students compete in Geography Bee”

1. Mrs. Turk on February 7th, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for covering our awesome geography bee students!!

• UPDATE! Students compete in Geography Bee

News

Tropicana Speech Contest

News

Designing their way to a parking lot

News

Celebrating the 68th annual Armed Forces Day

News

News Flash! Relay For Life Cancelled!

News

Month of The Military Child Lunch Event

News

NJHS Applications

News

GBMS journalists write their way to Universal!

News

Dolphin Career Academy winners

News

FSA and EOC Testing Dates

News

GBMS students write their way to awards