• New content coming soon! Keep checking back!

Filed under Features

Five weird laws that are surprisingly reasonable

Laws. We all need them to stay safe, but some sound very weird and unreasonable. That is, until you know why they are in place.

Let the Pickles Bounce

There is a law in Connecticut stating that a pickle must bounce before considered a pickle. Why would someone waste their time on a law like this? Well, you’ll be surprised because the answer is more logical than you think. Pickle packers, such as Sidney Sparer, were under concern that they were selling pickles not fit for human consumption.  The Connecticut Food and Drug Commissioner, Fredrick Holcomb, found out a way to see which ones are bad and which ones are good, bounce them one foot off the ground. This was done with the pickles that were supposedly unfit for eating, and they did not bounce. The bad pickles were destroyed and Sparer was arrested.

It’s a Commitment, Not a Toy

In Kentucky, it is illegal to dye a baby chick duckling or bunny any hue of the rainbow. This is because near Easter, chicks and bunnies are dyed and put into Easter baskets. But as their color fades away, so does the interest in these cute critters. Then, little by little, they end up in Humane Societies because owners no longer want to take care of the chicks or bunnies received. When they are colored they seem less of a commitment and more of a toy.

Chickens, Don’t Cross the Road

Why did the chicken cross the road? To get its owners to break the law! In Georgia, letting your chicken cross the road is illegal. It makes absolutely no sense, but in reality every state should have this law. It is actually because the state doesn’t want its chickens running around loose. It also helps chickens stay safe from being run over. So if you think of it, this law is actually pretty reasonable.

Leave Your High Heals at Home

Do you love high heels? Do you dream of going to visit The Parthenon in Greece? Well, leave your high heels at home because you cannot wear them while visiting these ancient ruins. It’s because those pretty pointy shoes of yours will destroy these ancient treasures. Not only is it best for the monuments, but for your health as well. You’ve got to remember that most Greek buildings are made of marble – a slippery, hard rock. If you don’t wear the right shoes, you’ll fall.

No Gum in Singapore

Gum. So delicious to chew, and fun to make bubble out of. You most likely chew it while you’re waiting for your doctor’s appointment, in the car, or traveling. If you’re traveling to Singapore, you should leave it at home. It’s illegal. It might not seem to make sense, but actually, it does. When chewing gum wasn’t banned, people would stick it everywhere, on the doors of trains and buses, walls of stores, and under chairs and tables. Lee Kuan Yew, who insisted on tidiness and good behavior, is the one who banned it. He was striving to make Singapore perfect and found that chewing gum would prevent that. So now the streets, sidewalks, and cities are clean.

There are many ridiculous laws, but maybe some should truly be there.

1 Comment

One Response to “Five weird laws that are surprisingly reasonable”

1. Tarah Sharit on February 9th, 2018 12:45 pm

I think that some of these laws are crazy but, everybody has there own opinion.

• Five weird laws that are surprisingly reasonable

Features

Hurricane Season 2018–Are you ready?

Features

Navarre Beach Marine Science Center Field Trip is great fun!

Features

GBMS Students go to the Career Expo

Features

8th Grade Students Take A Journey Through The Holocaust

Features

NJHS takes a trip to the Bowling Alley

Features

Google Doodles

Features

Exam Tips

Features

Is English the Most Difficult Language to Learn?

Features

Sam’s Fun City Field Trip

Features

NJHS Takes Over City Hall