• Mrs. Becky Grace is our non-instructional employee of the year. Congratulations!

• Congratulations to Mrs. Christy Morgan, GBMS Teacher of the Year!

• Yearbooks are now $60! Last day to order at Jostens.com is Feb. 28!

Filed under Sports

Love at First Spike

Hey, it’s volleyball season! If you’ve never watched a game you should really go check one out soon. Volleyball is a second by second action sport. With game terms like Ace, Attack, Block, Hit, and Dig, you know it’s exciting. If you’ve never played volleyball and wanted to try it out, you could sign up for Rec Volleyball! Rec volleyball is a great place to start because it teaches you the foundations as far as rules and playing without any pressure of already being great at it. Once you learn the foundations of volleyball, you will be ready for club volleyball, which is more competitive and prepares you for high school teams and possibly even college teams. Once you have reached college, your team could even go to the Olympics!

The game of volleyball was originally called mintonette, and was invented in 1895. It is a combination of basketball, baseball, tennis, and handball. From grass roots all the way up to Olympic level, volleyball includes all age groups. Grass roots volleyball is designed to teach proper fundamentals and skill development to new players. Jenna Kerr is in the grass roots program with Panhandle Elite Volleyball. Jenna said, “It can be difficult and it’s a tough sport to learn, harder than most people think. But, I like making new friends and working together on a team.” Jenna has done cheer for several years and wanted to try something different. 

Priscilla Haradon’s getting ready to serve it up!

As a member of The Orange Crush team at GBSA volleyball, Priscilla Haradon has played for a year. Her reason for playing Rec Volleyball, “I wanted to play volleyball because I thought it was very interesting and a very active sport.” “Sometimes funny things even happen” Priscilla said. “I was playing a volleyball game and I went to go get a ball that came over the net and when I did this other girl went to get it and we collided into each other.” 

The Panhandle Elite Team

If volleyball sounds like a sport you would like to try or even come watch, there are several local teams you can check out. GBSA located at the Gulf Breeze Rec Center starts registration May 1st – June 1st with regular season starting in September. If you are interested in club volleyball, check out Pensacola Beach Volleyball, Panhandle Elite Volleyball, West Florida Waves, Coastal Crush Volleyball, or Emerald Coast Volleyball. Club volleyball started in December and runs until around April. Be sure to try something new like volleyball!