• Mrs. Becky Grace is our non-instructional employee of the year. Congratulations!

• Congratulations to Mrs. Christy Morgan, GBMS Teacher of the Year!

• Yearbooks are now $60! Last day to order at Jostens.com is Feb. 28!

Filed under Movie Review

The Greatest Showman Movie Review

Taylor Dykes, 8th grade, gives her two cents’ worth on The Greatest Showman.

The Greatest Showman is most likely one of the most anticipated films of the year (I’m counting both 2017 and 2018). However, contrary to what the opening number proclaims over jarringly loud music, this is definitely not the greatest show. The movie is a visual feast; it’s beautifully shot, the costumes are very nice and, as far as I know, accurate to the time period. The shot shown in most trailers, the one where Zendaya is on the trapeze and she and Zac Efron meet eyes for the first time, had me literally gasp. It’s easily the most stunning scene in the film, and that is unfortunate.

As I said, the costumes are beautiful and accurate. But that is also where this movie fails: accuracy. The music and dance is horribly modern, and that would be ok if every song was not nearly identical. I’m not even joking, almost every single song sounds the same, and almost every single song uses the basic copy and paste “emotional” pop song format. The music isn’t terrible, it’s just bland.  And it causes the film to drag. The acting is decent, though Hugh Jackman’s was not exactly Oscar worthy, and I enjoyed many of the performances, especially Michelle Williams’.

The few child actors in it did well for child actors. Zendaya and Zac Efron’s character arcs were wonderful and felt very real, and one of the songs towards the end sung by these two had stunning choreography. Hands down, the best characters in the movie were the circus “freaks”, and that being said, the cast is actually quite diverse. Sure, the main cast, except for Zendaya, is about as white as a pack of copy paper, but there is quite a bit of representation. And, the film sends off a nice message of equality that isn’t hammered in. I will agree with other critics, the film is pretty shallow, but it’s nice to look at and it’s just brainless enough to make money. All in all, it’s decent, but it’s quite forgettable. The costumes are wonderful, the acting is decent, the music is subpar but catchy, the cinematography is nice, and while it isn’t a must watch, if you’re interested, go ahead and see it while it’s still out. I’d give it about a 4.5 out of 10.