• Mrs. Becky Grace is our non-instructional employee of the year. Congratulations!

• Congratulations to Mrs. Christy Morgan, GBMS Teacher of the Year!

• Online yearbook orders are now closed. Email [email protected] to be put on the waiting list if we have extra copies.

Filed under News

GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

The track meet at GBMS is a school favorite! GBMS holds a track meet every year for all students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. It is usually held right before school is out for spring break. This year the meet will be held on March 14, 2018.

One main reason that this is a school favorite is because on the day of the meet the entire school goes over to the high school track to cheer on their friends and sometimes siblings. However, like last year, if not enough people sign up to participate, then only those who signed up can enjoy this special day. This is why you should consider joining in the fun and competing in an event for the GBMS track meet. Sign up today with Coach Mindy Clayton. We do not want a repeat of last year and have only those who signed up have this special day all to themselves. Everyone can do it, even if you are not in P.E. **They will continue to take sign ups until the end of next week (around February 23).

The running events are the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, and the 1600m, or the mile. The track meet also has a team relay event which is the 4 x 100 relay. The teams can consist of all girls, all boys, or coed. The 100m is a straight shot down ¼ of the lap. The 200m is ½ of a full lap. The 400m is one full lap. The 800m is 2 full laps. Last but not least, is the mile, or 1600m, which is four full laps. Team relay is when each person passes a baton after they run 100m. This requires 4 people.

The track events are the shot put, discus, long jump. The shot put is where you throw a steal ball as far as possible. Discus is when you sling a rubber disc as far as you can. The long jump is when you run into a jump and jump with all of your might and land in the sand. These events are done during a P.E. class or during the school day for those not in P.E.

**If you have any interest or questions about the GBMS track meet please contact Coach Clayton or Coach Stringfellow to sign up today!

1 Comment

One Response to “GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!”

1. Gage Farris on March 1st, 2018 11:46 am

My track team for the 100 x 4 relay! @donaldbuffkin @meerkat @needarepalcementforthurbs

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

Dolphin Career Academy winners

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

FSA and EOC Testing Dates

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

GBMS students write their way to awards

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

Safety Drills & Knowing What To Do To Stay Safe

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

Faculty vs. Students Basketball Games

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

2018 Optimist Speech Contest

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

What Elective Will You Choose?

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

Project Hero: “Hope. Recovery. Resilience.”

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

Math Team Counts Their Way to Success

• GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!

News

GBMS students make history with their NHD projects

GBMS Track Meet coming up fast!