• Good luck on your upcoming semester exams! Study well!

Filed under News

Safety Drills & Knowing What To Do To Stay Safe

The recent Parkland High School shooting in Florida brought to the surface the importance that not just our school, but all schools need to participate in lockdown drills and safety procedures. Every school has their own safety procedures and lockdown steps, but how does GBMS rate in the safety column?

Everyone at GBMS recently participated in a lock-down drill on February 22, and principal Mr. Michael Brandon said that just about everyone treated the drill with respect and did everything they were supposed to. In our school lock-down drills, it starts with Mr. Brandon or a staff member in the front office making an announcement over the intercom. From then, teachers know how to safely hide away students in a designated and protected area. Once the drill is over, administrators will walk throughout the school and tell the teachers and staff that everything is OK.

When asked about the frequency of these drills, Mr. Brandon says, “We’re going to do it more often. We’re going to do it at least once a quarter, if not more, from now on.” He says that we want to make sure everyone knows what to do in a lockdown situation. Normally during a drill, Mr. Brandon’s initial job is to maintain the overall safety of the school. “I will be finding where the dangers are: I’ll be notifying police; I’ll be notifying staff. I’m the director of everything,” he states. “I have a great staff that have other jobs as well, but ultimately, it’s my job to make sure every student is safe here.” If there ever is a real lockdown, we would do everything the same as the drills to ensure we’re safe, and Mr. Brandon or a member of law enforcement will come in to clear the class when it’s safe.

Something that all students and staff should know is that everyone should always take drills seriously, and not make jokes or be disruptive. Practicing any emergency procedure, like CPR, lockdowns, and fire drills should be taken seriously and practiced just like a real situation. Students should not giggle or make sounds. Everyone should be quiet and on alert. All of the drills that are practiced at school are for safety reasons, to keep everyone inside the school safe.

One student said it well, “It’s important to me to know what to do in a real situation. It’s not funny. When other kids are joking around, it makes me uncomfortable.”