• There are only a few yearbooks left! Come see Mrs. Player this week with $65 if you want one.

Filed under Video Game Review

The Nintendo Switch

On March 3, 2017, Nintendo’s new console, the Nintendo Switch, was released to the world to critical avail by players and critics. It was loved so much by people, that for a while, it was difficult to find the relatively expensive consoles in stores with there being a backlog similar to Nintendo’s Wii console in 2006. When the Switch released last spring, the console didn’t have too many launch titles, but most of the games present were strong games that were filled to the brim with content. One such game is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, flipping the series’ clichés on their head having an open world, a mostly optional story, and an overall non-linear experience. Since launch, a few new titles have been announced and some released, such as the popular Super Mario Odyssey, which released last October, or Splatoon 2 last July. 

Over the Christmas break, many kids and students got a Switch for Christmas, with Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being popular games here. Henry Millican, 8th grade, received a Switch for his birthday on July 12 of last year. A few games Henry personally recommends Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle with it being a, “dumb concept, but a really good game.”

One main selling point of the NIntendo Switch is its ability to be taken on the go and also played on the TV. In addition to this, the Switch was built with multiplayer gaming in mind, being built in with two controllers, dubbed Joy-Cons, out of the box. The Joy-Cons can be detached to play with the controllers wirelessly via Bluetooth, but you can also play with two people if the game supports it. Some games like Super Mario Odyssey take advantage of the wireless controllers and the gyroscope built into the right Joy-Con by allowing the player to shake the controllers to perform special functions. 

Another minor thing added in the Switch is HD Rumble. Essentially, HD Rumble uses vibrations to help accentuate the game experience more. 1, 2 Switch, although critically panned, uses the HD Rumble feature well, especially in a mini-game requiring the player to count how many of balls are in a box with many reporting how realistic it felt. A few other games like Super Mario Odyssey and Golf Story use HD Rumble, with Odyssey using it in subtle ways to make the player feel more weight to things in cutscenes and gameplay. Golf Story uses it in a similar way to make the player “feel” how the golf ball moves in the air through the course. 

The Switch recently had its one-year anniversary on the 3rd of this month. Surprisingly, the Switch has sold more units in 10 months than its predecessor, the Wii U, has in its entire lifetime, and according to the sales numbers, the Switch is the fastest selling console ever. Many account it to the crazy amount of good games releasing over the past few months. The Switch has sold 14.86 million units as of December 31, while the Wii U has only sold 13.5 million units in its four-year lifespan.