• Mrs. Becky Grace is our non-instructional employee of the year. Congratulations!

• Congratulations to Mrs. Christy Morgan, GBMS Teacher of the Year!

• Online yearbook orders are now closed. Email [email protected] to be put on the waiting list if we have extra copies.

Filed under News

GBMS students write their way to awards

The 2018 Santa Rosa County Creative Writing Contest has announced this year’s winners, and plenty of them are from Gulf Breeze Middle School. Essay winners include Kennedy Miller, Noah Allen, and George Bach. Poetry winners include Maya Leshnov and Isaac Braun. Finally, Short Story winners include Louis White and Valeria Hanson.

Valeria Hanson, 7th grade, got third place in the short story category. Her short story was about how four girls went camping in a spooky forest. Then over a series of events the girls get scared over nothing. Valeria’s teacher, Mr. Sebastian, told her to write a story about something she had already experienced before.

Louis White, 7th grade, got second place in the short story category. Louis wrote about a military operation gone bad and everyone in it dies but it turns out it was a video game all along.

In the poetry category, Maya Leshnov and Isaac Braun both in 6th grade, and in Ms. Cornelius’s class, won awards as well. Maya Leshnov wrote a poem on a short story by Ray Bradbury. She won first place. Maya also said she was nervous and had stage fright during the event. Isaac Braun has also written a poem about orphans. His aunt is who inspired him to write the poem because his aunt was an orphan. Isaac got honorable mention, but he could not make it to the award ceremony.

Noah Allen enjoys a beautiful day at the awards ceremony for the Santa Rosa County Creative Writing Contest.

Kennedy Miller, George Bach, and Noah Allen competed in the essay category. Kennedy wrote that students should be able to eat in class. She won third place, and really hoped it would urge the school to allow students to eat in class.

As for Noah Allen, he wrote about having a leash law a law to keep dogs on leashes. Noah said it was random idea that came to him, and he was awarded with honorable mention.

George Bach wrote an informational essay about how Alan Turing created the idea of computers. George Bach did go to the award ceremony, she got first place in the eighth-grade essay category. Her awards were a ribbon and a book with all the winner’s essays. George mentioned the inspiration for the article, that it was interesting, and it was fun to write about.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “GBMS students write their way to awards”

1. Abdullah M. on April 6th, 2018 12:45 pm

I recommend adding a new tab called “Latest” or “New”, so that way people don’t have to be looking in all these different categories. this is just some advice to the Newspaper Staff. It also will help a lot of people out who are trying to find the latest. This is just some advice, no hate!

lplayer Reply:

Thanks for the idea. We have to keep the categories as they are, but all the newest articles pop up at the beginning of each section, so hopefully that helps!

• GBMS students write their way to awards

News

Dolphin Career Academy winners

News

FSA and EOC Testing Dates

News

Safety Drills & Knowing What To Do To Stay Safe

News

Faculty vs. Students Basketball Games

News

2018 Optimist Speech Contest

News

What Elective Will You Choose?

News

Project Hero: “Hope. Recovery. Resilience.”

News

Math Team Counts Their Way to Success

News

GBMS students make history with their NHD projects

News

UPDATE! Students compete in Geography Bee

GBMS students write their way to awards