• Good luck on your upcoming semester exams! Study well!

Filed under Features

The life of a GBMS cafeteria worker

We all go to the cafeteria every day to eat lunch. Some of us bring lunch from home, others buy it at school. Those who buy it see GBMS’s great cafeteria workers every time they get lunch. Do you ever wonder what they do to get your lunch ready, or what they do in their day to day lives as cafeteria employees?

First things first

Ms. Reggie prepares the corn dogs for lunch.

GBMS’s great cafeteria workers usually come in at 6:15 a.m. There is so much to do get the cafeteria going. What to do first? Ms. Brandy, the manager, starts cooking the breakfast. Ms. Tracy fills up the silver ware. How do they decide what to serve for breakfast? Ms. Tracy says that they have a nutritionist come in and make a healthy menu a month in advance. It is especially important for middle school students to get proper nutrition because if they don’t, it could develop into health problems later on like high cholesterol, osteoporosis, heart disease, and strokes.

Lunch

Ms. Tracy and Ms. Brandy, along with other co-workers, start making lunch at 7:30 a.m. Back-to-back lunches can be stressful for cafeteria workers. This is because they must quickly restock food and silverware, as well as wipe down the tables. But they must hurry before students come into the cafeteria and create a stampede.

Kids

Ms. Reggie measures the temperature of the corn dogs to make sure they are cooked all the way.

Ms. Tracy’s and Ms. Brandy’s favorite thing about working as a cafeteria worker is talking with the kids. Are there any interesting stories? Ms. Brandy says, “Kids are always funny, it’s hard to pick just one (story).” She said that one time, there was this little girl who came in with a hole in her popcorn chicken, and thought there was something wrong with it. Turns out the hole was there because they have to poke the food with a thermometer to make sure it is the right temperature. If the temperature is right, the food is cooked.

Like anything, when there is a good side, there’s a bad side too… the hard part. But what exactly is the hardest part? Ms. Brandy says that the hardest part is telling kids that they don’t have any money and can’t buy anything.

Coming to GBMS

Everyone starts somewhere when beginning a new career. Where did cafeteria workers start? Ms. Tracy said that she worked at other schools for some time, but then she came to GBMS. She really enjoyed being with the other co-workers and kids, so she decided to stay here. Ms. Brandy says, “I worked next door at the high school as the assistant manager. When this manager spot opened up, I applied.”

Last things last

By the time the rush hours of breakfast and lunch are over, there’s definitely going to be a mess in the kitchen, even after touching up a little throughout the day, cleaning spilled crumbs there, and wiping the counters here. These chores are split up. Ms. Brandy is in charge of turning off and locking everything. Ms. Tracy is in charge of doing dishes. The other co-workers will do things like put leftover food away, or wipe counters.

It seems that being a cafeteria worker is a stressful, busy, but rewarding job. Many thanks go out these dedicated staff members who make sure GBMS students have good food every day!