Filed under Student Life

Fun Facts About Netflix

Netflix+Logo
Netflix Logo

Netflix Logo

Netflix Logo

People enjoy watching television shows and movies, and these days it’s presumable that they love to watch them on Netflix. Netflix is a web-based platform and app that provides TV shows and movies for an annual fee. While many people love Netflix, they probably don’t know many facts about the organization. For example, what inspired the creation of Netflix and so much more. 

In 1997, the CEO of Netflix (Reed Hastings) concocted the idea of Netflix after being charged $40 in late fees for a VHS copy of Apollo 13. Soon after the CEO thought of the idea, he got to work and created Netflix in the same year. Netflix has surprisingly been around longer than Google, which was created in 1998.  When the company first started, it only had movies available that would be sent to customers’ houses a few days after being ordered online. However, over time it progressed and is now available on televisions and apps on cell phones. As well as being around for many years, Netflix is also available in nearly 50 countries. 

Reed Hastings is the CEO of Netflix.

The average subscriber watches 90 minutes of television each day. And around 60% of Netflix users binge-watch shows every few weeks. There are also studies that show people who have children are more likely to own a Netflix account than people who don’t have children. As of February 2015, Netflix has produced 66 original programs, including series, films, documentaries and more. Netflix has made many deals with a variety of people and organizations, but one the biggest deals was with Marvel Television. In late 2013, Netflix signed a deal with Marvel Television to produce four TV programs based on Marvel superheroes. The four individual characters will get their own shows, then come together for a special mini-series called The Defenders. 

Netflix is a well-known business, with an abundance of followers, and many weird but true facts. For more information visit: 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annaneyman/things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-netflix?utm_term=.bw1l53Y12#.wxbYWyagX