• Good luck on your upcoming semester exams! Study well!

Filed under Literary Corner

Variant book review

Variant follows the character Benson Fisher, a seventeen-year-old foster child who hasn’t stayed with a family for any longer than four and a half months. Benson has always been known as the “new kid” because he is always switching schools. 

Benson is offered a scholarship to attend Maxfield Academy as an opportunity to escape his dead-end life. As soon as Benson gets to this new school, he sees two students chase after the car he had just arrived in. Not long after, Becky, his tour guide, explains many of the rules. Becky explains that rule breaking is extremely intolerable, and anyone who breaks a serious rule gets taken to “detention.” There are no teachers. The students have to teach themselves. 

To survive, Benson must join one of the three groups on campus. They are Society, Havoc, and Variant. Society includes the students who believe they must follow and reinforce the rules to stay alive. Havoc are the ones who always get their way with violence. Variant is the smallest group. Variant is everybody else who isn’t in Havoc or the Society. Benson decides to join Variant, and quickly realizes that the groups are constantly fighting, and it is a much more dangerous game than he thought. He later learns that the school is testing the gangs to see how well they work together or against each other. 

After a few weeks in his new school, there is a school dance. Benson decides to go with Jane, a fellow member of Variant. While Benson and Jane are outside talking, Dylan and Laura, members of the Society, stop them. Dylan starts to hit them with a pipe until they are both unconscious. Benson tries to wake up Jane and fails. He then realizes something off about Jane. 

Read Variant to find out what happens to Jane and much more. Variant is an amazing book and is bound to keep you on the edge of your seat. After reading Variant, check out the second book, Feedback.