8th grade wraps up middle school with awards day

Many of the 8th grade award winners gathered for a group picture after the ceremony.

The annual GBMS 8th grade awards day was held on Friday, May 25, 2018, in the school cafeteria. Parents, grandparents, teachers, and community leaders came out to honor outstanding members of the 8th grade class.

Mr. Michael Brandon, GBMS principal, began the event with words about respect and pride, as well as the importance of starting high school on the right foot. Then, community leaders and school administrators handed out awards for citizenship, patriotism, school spirit, and academic excellence. (See all award winners below.)

Students cheered as their classmates were called up to the stage, and parents clicked away on cameras to capture the moment.

Hannah O’Grady (2nd) and Natalia Dadisman (1st) were this year’s salutatorian and valedictorian.

Once the major awards were given out and the A-Honor Roll was announced, assistant principal Mrs. Tracy Murphy began to announce the top 40. She explained that the difference in GPAs for these students was in the range of a hundredth of a percent. With this many amazing students, it was bound to be close! As it got closer and closer to the top, everyone wondered who would be this year’s  salutatorian (2nd place) and valedictorian (1st place). At the end, Hannah O’Grady was salutatorian and Natalia Dadisman was valedictorian.

After the ceremony wound to a close, many of the 8th grade parents checked their students out for a fun day of celebration before the coming week of semester exams and the last day of school.

Good luck to all the 8th graders of the 2017-2018 school year. Continue to #respectthephin as you swim on! Go Dolphins!

Alecs Barona Award (music) — Ashlyn Arnold

Jennifer Granse Award — Alanis Rivera

American Legion Award — Erin Mayhew and Cannon Pene

VFW Award — Deanna Harwell and Evan Zalar

DAR Award — Bryanna Bevil

Dolphin Award — Ann Hitpas and Brady Goodman

Sons of the American Revolution — Juliana McCarthy and Jack Anderson

Santa Rosa County Math Award — Haley Cartee

County Art Competition Recognition — Skylar Farej, Sophia Kersten, Katrina Le, Malia Ludwick, Sarah Marks, Jordan McMullen, Alexandra Peavy, Ayla Register

Principal’s Award winners for 2017-2018.

Principal’s Awards — Elizabeth Aydelott, Elle Bobb, Avery Burt, Adrienne Flowers , Mark Francis, Carson Hepworth, Leyton Krohn,  Zachary Meaux, Aiden Morgan, Rodrigo Pardo, Brooke Pound, Sophia Stringfellow

The 8th grade top 10.