• Good luck on your upcoming semester exams! Study well!

Filed under News

Duke TIP

On Thursday, May 17, eight GBMS students were recognized at the Santa Rosa County School Board meeting for their performance in the Duke TIP 7th grade talent search. Students receive recognition from the Duke TIP program by taking either the ACT or the SAT during their 7th grade year.

Honored GBMS students who received state awards and were recognized at the school board meeting were Molly Clark, Matthew Barrs, Ailia Muldoon, Whitney Bouk, Ava Kesler (not pictured), and Roger Ostrander (not pictured). According to the Duke TIP website, “Students qualify for the state ceremonies by earning scores that are approximately equal to the 50th national percentile rank for college-bound seniors taking the tests—about 35 percent of TIP students meet that criteria.”

In addition, GBMS also had students qualify for Grand Recognition through Duke TIP. They were Hayden Brown, Makayla Guilbeau, Amelia Hoitt, and Sandra Tu (not pictured). According to the website, “To qualify for the Grand Recognition Ceremony, students must earn scores that are approximately equal to the 90th national percentile rank for college-bound seniors taking the tests—that includes about 4 percent of TIP students.”

The Duke TIP website explains the recognition: “We celebrate academic achievement at a time in life when it’s essential to foster a love of learning and teach students to take pride in their scholastic accomplishments.”

Ms. Fricks, GBMS guidance counselor, says, “The criteria for selection [to participate in Duke TIP] is a score of at least 360 on either of the FSA Reading or the FSA Math tests.” GBMS uses the cutoff scores the district provides and then notifies the students who are selected. It is then up to them whether to proceed with the Duke TIP opportunity.

Makayla Guilbeau did extremely well on the ACT. Makayla says she was surprised that she did that well, but happy and proud of herself. She also said, “I decided to take the ACT because it seemed like it would challenge me, and I wanted to see how I could do compared to high schoolers.”  

For more information about Duke TIP visit their website, https://tip.duke.edu/ . 

To watch the Santa Rosa County School board video of student recognition from May 17, click here: http://santarosacountysdfl.swagit.com/play/05172018-932