Filed under News

GBMS bursts with talent!

GBMS bursts with talent!

The Dolphin Ensemble performs “The Cup Song” to close the show.

On Friday, May 18, GBMS had the annual talent show, where students from all grades performed their skills for the school. 16 students performed and they all did great. These acts included singing, dancing, guitar, flute, and ukulele. All the acts were loved by the teachers, students, and parents and the show was a success. At the end of the event “The Cup Song” was played and sung by some of the amazing girls that performed in the show.     

The first act of the show was Zach Giovanini, 7th grade, on the electric guitar. Zach performed “Sunshine of Your Love” by Cream, ending the solo with a crowd-roaring, rock ’n roll herkie! He felt like it’d be a fun thing to do, because he’d “never gone up and played to a bunch of people like that.” Maggie Feltenberger, 7th grade, sang and played “Drops of Jupiter” by Train on her acoustic guitar… let’s just say iPhone flashlights were on and swaying! 

There are most always singers, and lots of them, too! Regan Moore, 7th grade, performed “Firework” by Katy Perry. Shanzay Khan, 8th grade, sang “Jar of Hearts” by Christina Perri.  Biz Aydelott, 8th grade, took the stage next singing “Someone Like You” by Adele. Chloe Mills performed “Arms” by Christina Perri. Rubi Regan sang “Can’t Help Falling in Love with You” by Elvis Presley. Ivie Horton, 7th grade, and Cecilia King, 6th grade, performed a duet, singing “Stay” by Rihanna. Lauren Dorsey, 8th grade, performed an original song called “Fly Away” on her acoustic guitar. Lastly, talent show emcee, Madeline Ruffin, 8th grade, sang “Listen” by Beyonce. These participants sounded amazing, each one had the crowd clapping along.   

Haley Cartee, 8th grade, danced to “Genie in a Bottle” by Christina Aguilera, turning heads with her twirls! Isabella McAuliffe, 6th grade, and Lexi Barnes, 7th grade, danced to “The Sponge-bob Remix,” and when the first beat dropped… screams could be heard all over the cafeteria. 

Three outstanding girls, Lilli Thompson, Tori Wells, and Sydney Ferris, 6th grade, performed with two singing and one playing “Little Do You Know” by Alex and Sierra, and once again the iPhone flashlights were up.  Another amazing duo, Annie Driskell, 7th grade, and Maddie McLarty, 6th grade, singing and playing on the ukulele, “Soul Sister” by Train. Next, Liam Hayes and Friends sang and danced to “I’m Blue,” by Eiffel 65. This act was definitely something to remember! The last act of the show was the Dolphin Ensemble, and this was most of the girls in the show getting together on the stage to perform “The Cup Song.”  

The talent show was originally started twelve years ago as a showcase, not a competition, of the talent GBMS students have. Mr. Fearon, one organizer of the show, says, “It brings great joy to hear the shy, quiet students sing with the power of Pink! Or the soul of Aretha Franklin, or the nerdy kid that can shred on guitar like Eddie Van Halen.” This year, there were at least fifty auditions, with about thirty making it. The first factor Mr. Fearon and Ms. Lynn Ratte had to acknowledge was time. Mr. Fearon explains, “the second factor is talent. Everyone thinks they can sing. I think I sing amazingly while I sing to myself in the shower… but I don’t think anyone else would agree if they heard me, so I spare audiences from having to hear me. Things also need to be school appropriate, so many songs and dances just aren’t a good fit for a school environment.” 

GBMS is so proud to have this talent and these participants as students of our school!