Filed under Sports

Young Dolphins strike again and again

Dolphins receive a kickoff to start the game.

photo credit: Gavin Howard

The Gulf Breeze Shoreline Park Dolphins started off the year with a bang. Both the Juniors (8th grade) and the 12U (6th & 7th grades) teams had some exciting moments in their first three regular season games.

August 25–Opening weekend in Pensacola, the Gulf Breeze Junior Dolphins took on the Pensacola Tigers. It started off with a big Dolphins drive. The Dolphins marched down the field and came to the red zone. Brock Clayton handed off to Kobe Johnson for a five-yard touchdown! That was just the beginning of a great game. #55 Cooper Arnold and #9 Will Candelaria both had separate sacks. Tigers then kicked off to the Dolphins for the second time, which lead to a 25-yard return by Troy Coughlin. That turned into a big drive. Brock Clayton completed a pass to Luke Frazee for a 15-yard gain. Later that drive, at around the 20-yard-line, Kobe Johnson ran it in for a Dolphin TOUCHDOWN! It was now 14-12 Dolphins. Tigers were stopped and had to punt. After the punt, Brock Clayton handed off the ball to Kobe Johnson for a 75-yard touchdown. In the end, Kobe rushed for 145 yards and the Dolphins won 20-18.

Corey Brazle, 8th grade, plays for the Dolphins Juniors team.

After the game, Brock Clayton and Battle Alberson, both said they thought Bellview would be their hardest opponent of the season. Brock thinks Myrtle Grove is the easiest opponent and Battle thinks that Navarre is their easiest opponent. Brock said he expects to win the championship this year.

September 1– The Junior Dolphins won again, beating Myrtle Grove 42-0.

The Dolphins 12u game was also blowout. They won 32-0 against Myrtle Grove. Jake the quarterback threw many touchdowns as well as handed the ball to another player to score. Gavin Howard pitched the ball to the running back who scored a touchdown. Noah Allen had a safety and a sack.

September 8–The Junior Dolphins won for the third straight weekend, beating Salvation Army 45-0. Corey Brazle talked about running back Kobe Johnson: “It is crazy to see Kobe run down the field. All he has to do is drop a shoulder and they fly off of him.”

The Dolphins 12u game was a close 24-21, but the ’Phins pulled it out as a win in the end. The first half was a blow out at 24-0 Dolphins, but as the second half came, the Dolphins stared to fall apart. The Salvation Army running back and their quarterback both scored. As the game went on, Salvation Army got the ball and drove down the field to the 25 yard line. 17 seconds on the clock, they just needed a touchdown to win the game. The quarterback rolled out to the left side to throw to a wide open man. He threw and Dolphin Gavin Howard, #27, intercepted the ball to prevent a touchdown. (See below for a video of the exciting game-ending interception.) Noah Allen had a sack as well. After the game, Jamal Jefferson said, “It felt good to finally beat the Seahawks.”

Tristen Keigley said, “The first half was good, but the second half, we fell apart. We kept battling and won the game.”

Overall, the middle school teams have had a great year so far. Most of the players love the game, like Jackson Cross, 8th grade, who said, “There are some downsides like watching your friends get hurt, but there are also some perks like taking all your anger out on the quarterback.”

This week both teams have a bye (September 15). Next week, September 22, they play at Bellview.

(Video of Gavin Howard’s interception courtesy of Ms. Kelly Taylor.)