Homecoming Week is on the way!

Homecoming Week is on the way!

In 2016, Ryan Connor went all out for blue and gold day!

So you’ve heard of homecoming dances, but have you heard of parades and dress up days? Here at Gulf Breeze Middle School, students dress up every day of the week leading up to the GBHS homecoming parade and football game. The game and parade are on Friday, October 12 this year.  

Believe it or not, homecoming has quite a lot of history. Homecoming alumni football games and celebrations have been held at colleges and universities since the 19th century. The celebrations included a parade and spirit rally with a bonfire. Several colleges claim they held the first homecoming although the date is not determined.   

UNDERWATER WONDERS! Last year, Ms. Cobb and students went all-out with their costumes for Homecoming Week.

Here at GBMS, we celebrate Homecoming Week by holding dress up days, a dance, face painting, and even parades. Every year we change the dress up themes. In the previous years we had themes like “Merica’ Monday” and even “Under the Sea Wednesday!” Students and even some teachers have fun dressing up during Homecoming Week, so don’t be afraid to join the fun.

The Friday of Homecoming Week, the high school throws a parade. Sixth grader Carmyn Ferguson says, “The parade is probably going to be my favorite part.” The high school homecoming dance is the Saturday after the game, although the date for the middle school dance is undetermined. (stay tuned for an update.) On Blue and Gold day, we have face painting on the blacktop for one dollar. When asked about face painting, 6th graders Jeneviev McGee and Danah McMulligan said, “we think it would be fun.” 

Every year there is a middle school homecoming dance held at the Rec Center. Many students have their own opinion about school dances. Tate Claudio said he may participate “sometimes but mostly just the football games.” Carmyn Ferguson says the dance is going to be fun. Although the date and time of the dance are not determined, we will update you. 

Be ready to dress up and have fun for this year’s Homecoming Week!