Filed under Band

GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

MILLION DOLLAR SMILES! Mrs. Smithey and Christopher Viglione anticipate another great band fundraiser this year. Christopher has been the top seller for the past two years.

photo credit: Lily Hoffert

photo credit: Lily Hoffert

As the band members of 2018-2019 know, the band fundraiser began on September 7 and ends September 25, but what is the band fundraiser? What does the band fundraiser do? Why do we have it?

Instruments. They get old and break, so when that happens they either need to be repaired or replaced. In this case they will be replaced. So where does the money come from? For GBMS, the band fundraiser makes the money. Performances are also very expensive. When the GBMS band performs at the Saenger Theatre in the spring of each year, one night, just one performance is $4,000. This is another expense the fundraiser helps to cover.

What does the band fundraiser do to make the money? They sell things such as, chocolate, nuts, jewelry, gourmet popcorn, and Yankee Candles. Band student Ciara Caridi, 7th grade, says, “The most Item I sold last year was jewelry.” One year they made a profit of $22,00.00. Christopher Viglione, 8th grade, has raised the most money two years in a row. Last year he raised a total of $1,400. He says, “I started with my family, and then went on to my neighborhood, and people just wanted more, they wanted me to keep coming back.” His intentions are to raise the most money again. The first year he won a $100 reward, and the second year, a Kindle Fire iPad.

If you’re wondering what their goal is… they don’t really have one. GBMS band teacher Mrs. Smithey says, “We have never ‘not met our goal’ because our goal is for students to just do their best. Whatever that is, that’s our budget for the year.” However, a student has to sell at least 35 items or a profit of $225 to get to attend the Limo Lunch Ride. The Limo Lunch Ride goes to Flounders (a restaurant) in Pensacola Beach.

All in all, the band fundraiser starts September 7, 2018, and ends September 25, 2018. Band students raise the money for new instruments and performances, which are both very expensive. And their goal is for students to do their best. Since Christopher Viglione is trying to raise the most money for the third year in a row, check back with The Dolphin Echo in October to see if he reached his goal. Will he succeed? Maybe? Maybe not?

1 Comment

One Response to “GBMS Band focuses on fundraising”

1. Susan Smithey on September 11th, 2018 3:21 pm

An extremely well written article about our very important fundraising event. Thank you!!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

GBMS Symphonic Band compose “Respect The Phin” with professional songwriters

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

Band’s Spring Concert a joy for all

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

Solo and Ensemble

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

GBMS Band does it again!

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

Adrienne Flowers Achieves Success at All-State Band

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

All County Band was an all-around success

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

The GBMS Band is satisfying almost all the senses with its newest edition, a Christmas tree

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

Band Winter Concert

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

Limo Band Lunch

• GBMS Band focuses on fundraising

Band

UPDATE! 2017-18 All State Band

GBMS Band focuses on fundraising