• Pajama Day Friday, November 16! Bring $1 and wear your jammies!

• Congratulations to Amelia Atchison, 8th grade, for making All-State Band!

Filed under News

NJHS elects new officers

MEET THE TEAM! This year's NJHS officers are ready to steer the ship! From left: Stella Shallard, Elyse Fulford, Holland Davidson, Kate Turk, and Valeria Hanson.

On Tuesday, August 28, GBMS’s National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) voted for this year’s leadership officers. The winners of the votes were Holland Davidson for president, Elyse Fulford for vice president, Stella Shallard for treasurer, Valeria Hanson for historian, and for secretary there was the first-ever three-way tie between Meredith Pugh, Ava Patroni, and Kate Turk. The officers voted for the secretary tie-breakerand Kate Turk won. Congratulations to all the winners and keep up the good work for the community!   

NJHS members are the 91 eighth-grade students who maintained a 93-grade average or above throughout the first two years of middle school, with no behavior referrals. Once in NJHS, they’re required to complete 20 volunteer hours each semester. The students who did not run for a position or did not get the position they ran for are put into five different committees: citizenship, character, service, scholarship, and leadership. 

SPEAK YOUR MIND–Holland Davidson gives her winning speech to the NJHS members.

The new president of NJHS, Holland Davidson, states “I think I will be a good leader, and a good fit for the job.” Before the votes were counted Holland was hopeful she would win, and she sure did.

The vice president, Elyse Fulford, claims that she, “will help students learn to be good citizens and do great things.”

Valeria Hanson, the historian, states she, “wants to be more of a role model than just being in NJHS so why not run for an officer?”

Kate Turk, secretary, states, “ I want to be more involved in the community.”

Stella Shallard, the treasurer, wants to, “help make a difference in the community, and make sure everyone has a part in the community.”  

Before the vote, Stella claimed that, “Gabe did really good, and I am not sure I am going to win.” All the candidates still did an amazing job and will be recognized in future NJHS events. Everyone is excited for NJHS this year!