Filed under News

Hurricanes are swirling away!

Model+of+hurricane+Katrina+
Model of hurricane Katrina

Model of hurricane Katrina

Model of hurricane Katrina

Have you ever had to evacuate for a hurricane? Well, be prepared because hurricane season is in full spin. Hurricanes can be extremely destructive, due to their incredible power. 

A hurricane is a storm with violent winds–a tropical cyclone in the Caribbean. Hurricanes are one of the most devastating natural disasters behind only earthquakes and floods. It can cost millions in repairs and take thousands of lives. The worst things about hurricanes are storm surge, storm tide, flooding, heavy rainfall, high winds, rip currents, and tornadoes. Depending where you are in the hurricane, tornadoes are common. Whether or not to evacuate for a hurricane is up to your local authorities.  

This year, hurricanes and tropical storms are going strong, like hurricanes Florence and Isaac. Hurricane Florence forced more than one million people to evacuate in coastal areas of Virginia and the Carolinas. Meanwhile, hurricane Isaac has already started spinning westward through the tropical Atlantic Ocean. Heavy rain and strong winds will possibly hit the lesser Antilles. It will start out as a tropical storm, but it may strengthen as time goes on.   

During a hurricane there is a process of being safe. Some of the things you may need include water, food, battery powered or hand crank radio, a NOAA weather radio with tone alert, flashlights, first aid kits, extra batteries, whistle to signal for help, moist towelettes, garbage bags or tie off bags for personal sanitation, medication, wrench or pliers to turn off utilities, manual can opener for food, local maps, and cell phones with chargers and a backup batteries. Talk to your family and visit the American Red Cross disaster preparedness website to make a plan for what to do in the event of a hurricane or other disaster.

Hurricane season is here, so make sure you are ready and prepared! Using these simple tips can save thousands of lives.