Filed under Band

GBMS students audition for All State Band

(Right) Amelia Atchison, Jasmine Tucker, Ian McLaughlin, Brandon Collins, John Bleiler, Ian Gonzales, and Matthew Barrs. (Left)

All State Band is a band that only accepts the dedicated and committed, and to play with the All State Band student musicians need to ace the audition. This year All State auditions were on September 22 and took place at Pace High School. So many kids from different middle schools come and audition for the band. The phenomenal GBMS middle school band is one of the school bands that sent several students to show off their skills and many talents.  

GBMS had seven kids who tried out for All State. These included Ian Gonzales, Ian McLaughlin, Brandon Collins, Jasmine Tucker, Amelia Atchison, John Bleiler, and Matthew Barrs, all 8th grade students. Band director Ms. Smithey says this “…is the most I’ve had in a long time.”

But why do these kids audition? Amelia Atchison, who plays the flute, said, “To improve, it really helps me learn new things and helps with my confidence, playing my flute in front of people.”

Jasmine Tucker, an oboe player, said, “I want to audition for the All State band because I think it would be amazing to be playing with the state’s best musicians my age.”

Yet auditioning isn’t as easy as it looks or sounds. Students who are auditioning for a spot in All State must go through a lot to get where they are now. To get to audition for All State Band they must first audition for Ms. Smithey. All these kids auditioning for All State Band have practiced and worked hard ever since the very beginning to get here. Students like Jasmine Tucker and Amelia Atchison all practice their scales for the audition. They must do it in two minutes or under. They don’t just practice their scales, but they also must work on tone quality. Scales are sounds or music notes that increase and decrease, and tone is the quality of the way a musician plays. This isn’t as easy as it sounds; they have to practice every day, and work very hard to get all the scales done in twp minutes, and still make sure they don’t sound like a total mess while doing so. 

All State Band may be hard to get into, but students auditioning for it were phenomenal and showed everyone what they are made of. Results of the audition will be available in December.

Jasmine Tucker, 8th grade,practices for All State Band auditions.