• HOCO Dress-Up Friday: BLUE & GOLD (Eyeblock on sale for $1)

• HOCO Dress-Up Thursday: DYNAMIC DUO THURSDAY

• HOCO Dress-Up Wednesday: DISNEY WORLD WEDNESDAY

• HOCO Dress-Up Tuesday: TUTU TUESDAY

• HOCO Dress-Up Monday: MONSTER MONDAY

• PTO Cookie Dough Fundraiser is underway!

Filed under Sports

Volleyball Season Again!

It’s volleyball season again, and the teams are already getting fired up for games. Girls in rec. ball are practicing after school for days at time with their teams to get ready for games on Saturdays and sometimes on Tuesdays.  

So, how do you play volleyball? What are the rules? Well for starters, volleyball is more than just bumping a ball back and forth; there’s so much more than that. Players serve, have teams, bump, pass, set, rotate, and spike, but what are the rules?

• Rule #1: A team must have at least six players: three in the front and three in the back on their side of the net.
  • Rule #2: A team must have a maximum of three hits on the ball on their side of the net.
  • Rule #3: A player can’t catch/hold the ball.
  • Rule #4: Points are given to the winning team (volleyball uses rally-point scoring).
  • Rule #5: A player cannot double tap, meaning hitting the ball more than once.
  • Rule #6: If a player hits the ball out of bounds (hits the ball on the wall or outside of the boundary) then the other team gets a point and gets to serve that round.
  • Rule #7: No slapping the ball; players have to bump, set, or spike the ball.

How do players know when the ball is out? Or when they have lost that round?  Well if a player hits the ball outside the boundary line or doesn’t hit the ball over the net, their team loses the point. They can also lose the point by touching the net with any body part, or if a back row player moves up and hits the ball for the front row player.   

Volleyball in the rec. league is all about learning to become a team and knowing the basics of volleyball. Kaileigh Profancik is #4 and Madison Cartwright is #7 on the hot pink team in rec. ball. Their team name is “Wildcats.” Kaileigh said, “We are a very close team and good friends.” This is good for how teammates play together because they feel comfortable with each other. Another thing she said was, “One of the teenagers at the rec. was good at volleyball and I knew that I wanted to be like that.” Kaileigh Profancik was 6 years old when she decided to play volleyball.  

On the other hand, Madison said, “I feel great about the upcoming games. I feel like my team will pull through and hopefully win both games.” These girls won their second game on September 15, 2018. Madison also stated that, “My favorite thing to do is to pass/bump (the ball back and forth). My sister coaches volleyball and I have to be on her team… This year I have a great team.  Volleyball is and will always be my favorite sport. I feel very grateful that I can play this game.” This said, Madison is very grateful for everything she has in volleyball. Madison wished good luck to everyone participating in volleyball this year and years beyond.  

All in all, volleyball is a sport loved by many. At the Rec Center they have games almost every Saturday and sometimes on Tuesdays. Anyone can join all of the other volleyball fans and go watch a game.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Volleyball Season Again!”

1. elizabeth vanrooyen on October 2nd, 2018 8:26 am

how can i sign up for volleyball and where

2. Claire Heigele on October 3rd, 2018 8:52 am

Good Morning Elizabeth Vanrooyen,
    Currently volleyball season is in session so sadly you can not sign up this year. However, you can sign up for beach volleyball in the spring. This is all taking place at the Rec. center you can sign up for all of these things there. To sign up for indoor/court volleyball you would have to wait until about June when the registration starts up again. Now, there is volleyball season for club volleyball coming up soon also you can sign up for that now for that if your interested.

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

Disc Golf is soaring through Gulf Breeze

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

Young Dolphins strike again and again

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

What’s it like to play travel soccer?

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

GBMS Annual Kickball Tournament

• Volleyball Season Again!

Male Athlete of the Month

Max Schneidt, Outstanding Athlete

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

NBA playoffs 2018

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

Sports Ability Games a huge success

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

The Wild Warheads kickball team!

• Volleyball Season Again!

Sports

March Madness

• Volleyball Season Again!

Male Athlete of the Month

Zach Giovanini runs to the finish line

Volleyball Season Again!