Filed under Movie Review

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Movie Review

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Movie Review

[DISCLAIMER: this movie is rated TV-14! These are the just the opinions of an 8th grader. Also, SPOILER ALERT! If you haven’t seen the movie yet, some of the following information may be spoilers.]

On September 7, 2018, the super-hyped Netflix Original Movie, Sierra Burgess is a Loser, was released, and teen girls everywhere were ready for Noah Centineo (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, The Fosters) to steal their hearts once again. But, with high expectations comes disappointment… so, let’s play good-cop-bad-cop. 

The movie begins with Sierra (Shannon Purser) getting ready for school, where we meet her parents, and are casually introduced to the idea that Sierra doesn’t care about her appearance. Later, we’re introduced to the “Queen Bee,” because every teen movie must have one. Veronica (Kristin Froseth) is so insanely, and hopefully unrealistically, rude… but I can understand why she had to be so terrible. It’s because she’s the plot-thickener.  

While eating at a restaurant, a boy, Jamey (Noah Centineo) approaches Veronica to get her number but being the plot-thickener that she is, Veronica gives him Sierra’s number instead. Once Sierra starts getting the texts from Jamey, you’d think she’d say, “wrong number,” and go on like a normal human being, but obviously not. She even goes as far as changing her voicemail, faking a disability, and making a deal with the enemy, Veronica. 

I will say, the way Veronica and Sierra’s relationship changes is awesome; they absolutely despised each other until they began to understand each other. Neither of them knew really anything about the other until they actually bonded over something, the downside being they were bonding over cat-fishing a boy. Veronica and Sierra really have you rooting for them… up until a little misunderstanding that Sierra takes way too far, and this is where I realized that Sierra Burgess was in fact not a loser; she was a villain. Girl code is not in her vocabulary. Backstabbing Veronica just because she thought she was interested in Jamey? Crazy.  

Because of Sierra’s stunt, Jamey finds out his Veronica is not the real Veronica. He claims he never wants to talk to either of them again. Instead of apologizing profusely and recognizing where she was wrong, Sierra writes a “pity-me” song. I will admit, it’s kind of a good tune, and I’d feel bad for her if she hadn’t done what she did. Jamey hears the song, and suddenly all is well and dandy. He shows up at her house, asks her to homecoming, but not before a grand monologue making sure to let Sierra know that maybe he wouldn’t have noticed her, and that she’s not “exactly everyone’s type.” This somehow wins her over. What?! How did she not slap him? How did she find that romantic? Somehow, she did, and they ride off into the dark sky to homecoming.  

I really was expecting a fun, lighthearted rom-com with little focus on physical appearance. I was hoping they wouldn’t really address it, just normalize it with a guy liking a girl for her personality, but I also understand that insecurity is relatable, and everyone has some. It frustrated me, because I didn’t want her appearance to be a big deal because really, it’s not at all! While the movie portrayed a few good lessons, overall, I was hoping for something different, and was disappointed. I am convinced that Sierra’s best friend, Dan, is the only sane one in this entire film.