Filed under Sports

Disc Golf is soaring through Gulf Breeze

Have you ever wondered what’s behind the Gulf Breeze Rec Center in those woods? There is a course back there with chain link baskets for a sport called disc golf. It is an 18-hole course that consists of water, trees, and bushes. The goal is to get the disc (smaller than a frisbee) in the basket in the least amount of tries. Just like in golf, the lowest score wins. Disc golf is free to play at the Rec Center.

The ways a player can throw the disc is “lefty backhand” that curves right, or “lefty forehand” that curves left. “Righty forehand” curves right, while “righty backhand” curves left.

Preston Kirk plays disc golf at the local rec center. He said, “The Wahoo is my favorite disc because it floats in water and has good speed and turn.”

As for the course, hole two is a short water hole where the basket is on an island. A difficult hole is hole five, which goes over a wide stream to the basket which isn’t visible from the tee box. Hole nine is the hardest hole according to Preston Kirk, 7th grade, because it is also not visible from the tee box. It goes around a bend in the path to the basket. Hole 11 is an easy straight away. Hole 14 is the easiest according to Preston; it is a straight away that goes over the volleyball courts. Hole 15 has a lot of trees in the way of the basket. Hole 18 is the last hole on the course. It is a straight away with a couple of trees in the way.

There are a couple of different kinds of discs. There is the driver which is used for long range throwing. There is a mid-range disc that is used for medium to long range throwing. The last kind of disc is a putter. It is used for close range, and it can fly straight. An average disc costs $10 and can be found at Ace Hardware next to Whatabuger. Having a course in Gulf Breeze is convenient because it is so close.

Braeden Murawski, 7th grade, also plays disc golf at the rec center. He says, “My favorite hole is hole 14 because it is a straight away that is good for lefty backhand.”

Chase Herring, 7th grade, is one of GBMS’s students who loves to play. His favorite disc is the Thunderbird, and his favorite hole is hole three.