Filed under Op/Ed

Why become vegetarian?

Why become vegetarian?

Don’t you just love animals, their cute little faces bouncing around happily? Sadly, many animals are killed to become meat and people think of animals as food. However, there are many people in the world who choose not to eat meat, which is called being vegetarian. There are different reasons for being vegetarian, including religious beliefs, health benefits, love for animals, and environmental concerns.

A lot of people become vegetarian because their health benefits from this. According to Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s website, this prevents cancer, because vegetarian diets are naturally low in saturated fat and high in fiber. This beats heart disease so people who have heart disease could become vegetarian to keep them alive. This also lowers blood pressure, preventing and reversing diabetes, and helps gallstones, kidneys, and osteoporosis. This helps people with asthma and common concerns, and gives a lot of Vitamin B. So, becoming vegetarian literally prevents cancer, reverses and prevents diabetes (Type 2), prevents heart disease, lowers blood pressure, and helps organs.

I am a vegetarian, and this was literally as easy as blinking. Yes, I did have to change my diet around, but it’s worth it. And really there wasn’t that much change to my diet. Instead of meat, I eat tofu, vegan meat, vegetarian meat, tempeh, textured vegetable protein, and lentils. And sides include fruit, vegetables, and salads. That’s what I can eat, but this is what I can’t. Gelatin, which may bring to mind yummy Jello, is made of animal skin and animal bones. And since vegetarians obviously can’t have that they can’t have anything that includes that, such as a lot of things like marshmallows, Lucky Charms, Rice Krispy Treats, gummy things like gummy worms and gummy bears, Tootsie Rolls, HI-Chews, Starbursts, and just about anything by Haribo companies. There are a lot of things containing gelatin, but the products I’m about to list are from animal shortening which is pig fat: Hostess Brands including Twinkies, their own coffee cakes, donuts, cakes, Zingers, and Ding Dongs, etc. Thankfully for vegetarians, people have created vegetarian/vegan products of the same foods. For example, Drake brand coffee cakes and Sour Patch Kids are vegan/ vegetarian, and so are Swedish Fish and Skittles. There are also vegan marshmallows made by Dandies, and the brand tastes the exact same, even better. So, those marshmallows can be added with the Rice Krispy treats recipe and voila! There are vegan/vegetarian Rice Krispy Treats! The list goes on and on.

Believe this or not, but right here in GBMS, there are other vegetarians besides just me. They also think it’s wrong to put this treatment on animals. Some of these people are Clair Miller and Alexandra D. Clair and Alex are also vegetarians. Alex said she became vegetarian because, “I chose not to eat meat anymore because it’s sad eating animals.”

Clair said she became vegetarian because, “My mom talked about all the things…hunted, killed, and slaughtered. I thought, ‘Wow! That’s terrible! Maybe I’ll become vegetarian.’ Mostly…I became vegetarian because it’s kind of greedy to kill animals for food when there’s so much more food out there we can eat instead.”

Alex said, “None of this was difficult and I never really liked the food I can’t eat anyway. A personal benefit of mine from becoming vegetarian is I no longer have to feel guilty about eating animals.”

Clair agreed, “A personal benefit of mine is not having to feel guilty about eating animals and proving people wrong because they thought I couldn’t stay a vegetarian. And from becoming vegetarian I have made healthier choices.” I agree with them; they both have a great point.

In conclusion, being vegetarian is amazing to me, and not only am I saving animals or at least helping, my health is benefiting from this choice. I am keeping away cancer and diseases,  being healthy, and not feeling alone in this decision.

source: https://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/vegetarian-foods-powerful-for-health