• Pajama Day Friday, November 16! Bring $1 and wear your jammies!

• Congratulations to Amelia Atchison, 8th grade, for making All-State Band!

Filed under Literary Corner

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

[DISCLAIMER] The following text may have spoilers. This book is classified as Young Adult, so it may not be appropriate for all middle schoolers.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a book by Jenny Han that leaves readers wanting more! This is a book about a girl named Lara Jean whose mother recently passed, and her two sisters and dad must make it on their own. Lara’s life is twisted upside down when her crushes go from imaginary to out of control. Lara Jean is a quirky teenage girl who writes letters to all her crushes when she likes them so badly that her feelings overwhelm her. One of the letters was about her sister Margot’s ex-boyfriend, Josh. (Margot recently moved to college.) Lara must figure out a way to make it so her sister never finds out about her having a crush on him with the help of another crush, Peter Kavinsky. Lara Jean and Peter began to fake date, so that Josh and Peter’s ex-girlfriend, who is also Lara’s ex-best friend Genevieve, think that both Lara and Peter are over them.

Lara Jean and Peter begin to have feelings for each other and go on a school ski trip where their romance really starts to spark. Then comes the hot tub… Lara Jean confesses her love for Peter in the hot tub and it quickly turns into a kiss. Another student catches them and takes a picture of them. The student sends the pictures to the whole school and everyone is led to believe that Lara and Peter did more than that… when that really wasn’t what happened. So then, there is all this drama. Lara and Peter get in an argument, because Lara thinks that Peter told everyone they went further, when they really didn’t. Long story short, Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean make up and the holidays begin. Once Margot comes home from college she finds out about Lara Jean previously liking Josh and the holidays go from cheerful to chaotic!

My opinion on the book is that it overall was a very good book that shows aspects of having courage and giving people a chance because they may surprise you. This book although is not very realistic considering the fact that if you were to write letters to your crushes for only you to see, you wouldn’t put an address and stamp on it! This book has some foul language and adult themes, so it may not be appropriate for all readers, so make sure to check with your parents that it is okay if you read it. In general, I believe that this book is a very good read and has some good lessons that are great to get across to teens.

This book is filled with drama, romance, hot tubs, and ski trips along with humor as well. This is a book that shows that you may fall in love with those you expect to the least and that everyone has layers, so you can’t judge a book by its cover. You can find this book at the GBMS library!