• Pajama Day Friday, November 16! Bring $1 and wear your jammies!

• Congratulations to Amelia Atchison, 8th grade, for making All-State Band!

Filed under Student Life

BOO! It’s Halloween!

Activities galore await area students on Halloween night

BOO! That’s what you will be hearing on the streets of Halloween night. October 31st is one of the scariest nights of the year. When people walk down the street, they will hear screams of terror because of all the scary costumes and decorations. Many people will be trick or treating or going to haunted houses and parties. In the greater Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area there are many events leading up to Halloween. Be ready to get scared! 

Halloween originated in Ireland. In rural areas, bonfires are lit as they were in the days of the Celts. Trick-or-treating started in Ireland and Britain. This tradition has been around since at least the sixteenth century. A lot of houses on Halloween night will have a carved pumpkin with a candle inside of it called a jack-o-lantern. This is one of the most famous traditions that Halloween celebrators follow. The first jack-o-lantern was not a pumpkin is was a turnip that was made to fight off evil spirits.  

One local event is the Hadji Haunted House in Pensacola. It is over eight thousand square feet and it has thirty rooms of fearsome fun. Admission is twenty dollars, and it runs from 7-10:30 p.m. on Halloween night.

Other events that are a little farther away in Jay and Myrtle Grove are the Creepy Hollow Woods, TNT’s Trail of Terror, and The Purgatorium. The Creepy Hollow Woods are in Jay, Florida. When you visit you can choose to have a “normal” option or an “insanity” option.  The “Insanity Experience” is one where you must be eighteen years or older to enter because the actors can put their hands on you, so beware. Both normal and insanity versions are offered Halloween night. All will begin at 7:30 p.m. The general admission is $15 for the normal.  Another event in Jay is TNT’s Trail of Terror. This half a mile corn maze is “not for the faint of heart or easily spooked,” and is also open Halloween night. The gates open at 7 p.m. General admission is $10. The Purgatorium in Myrtle Grove has been running for ten consecutive years. This attraction is in a normal sized 1970’s house. This event features haunted lullabies, eerie white noise, and chainsaw-wielding freaks. General tickets are $10 and V.I.P. front-of-the-line tickets are $20. It opens at 7 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m.  

Other events a little closer to Gulf Breeze are VonTrapped in the hospital, Wahooloween, and Field of Screams. At the old Sacred Heart hospital in East Hill, First City Shakespeare presents its third annual Halloween cabaret performance tour. Tickets are $20, and tours are about fifteen minutes. You are invited to wear your best costume. Guests will go on a guided tour that walks through the hospital to learn of its history, listen to singing nuns, and encounter a possessed child, among other spooky situations and people. You can visit on Halloween night. In Field of Screams at Pensacola’s Wahoo Stadium, you’ll partake in the “Terror Under the Stadium.” Family-friendly hours will be offered 5-7 p.m. and adult-only hours from 7;30 p.m. until midnight on Halloween night.  

If you don’t want to spend money on Halloween night, then the national tradition is to go trick or treating. There are so many different costumes and areas to choose from. Tiger Point and Plantation Hill are two of the most popular areas in Gulf Breeze to trick-or-treat. Ella Montgomery and Molly Hunt in 7th grade are going together as tacky tourists with a bunch of other friends. Reece Houston is another 7th grader, and he is going as an alien with his family and friends. He plans to make his own costume at home. London Taylor (8th grade) and Logan Ng (7th grade) might run into each other. Logan is going with his friend Aiden Calloway. “I’m not sure about my costume but I think I’m going to go in a onesie, whichever one is at Walmart,” says Logan. London is excited because he is going on his golf cart as a panda with his friends. Riley Riggs in 8th grade is going as a unicorn; he plans to go buy a onesie at Walmart as well. His plan is to go with a bunch of his friends. Some parents will even go trick or treating. You never can be too old to be a kid again.  

If you would rather go walk around hunting for candy with family and friends, go to a scary event around town or just sit at home giving out candy, this Halloween is still going to be fun. Halloween is a fun holiday that everyone should be able to enjoy no matter what you do.  Have fun getting scared!

Sources: www.pnj.com and google.com