Filed under Sports

Gulf Breeze VS Navarre

A game to remember

THE++START%3A+Both+teams+are+ready+as+the+game+is+starting.+

Gulf Breeze VS Navarre

THE  START: Both teams are ready as the game is starting.

THE START: Both teams are ready as the game is starting.

Gulf Breeze and Navarre played October 26, 2018, and both teams were fighting for the conference title. They both had seven wins and only one loss coming into this battle of a football game. This game meant a lot for both teams just because the number one the conference was on the line,and because they are rivals. Ever since 1996 when Navarre was established they have been rivals. It makes sense because Navarre is just down the highway. This game is important to many people. Gavin Howard says that “they beat us (the 12u dolphins) so we want the high school to beat them.”

When game started,Gulf Breeze  kick off to  Navarre receiving. Excitement filled the air for Gulf Breeze and Navarre fans alike. Navarre right out of the gate scored,with Dante Wright putting them on the board with great long run to make it 7- 0. Both teams were still very hyped up with Gulf Breeze losing just a little steam, they could still come back. Then not even three minutes in to the first quarter,  blocked punt spelled trouble for the Dolphins, as Evan Gourley put it in for the Raiders. As the Pensacola News Journal said, “It was Navarre’s sixth blocked punt of the year.” The score was quickly 13-0, Raiders. Gulf Breeze had always held their own this year. This was out of the Dolphins comfort zone, you could see it with how they played madly and more intense. They wanted this game that was slowly slipping out of their hands. At the end of the half it was 26-0, Navarre was electric with their defense being key to this great half, as Gulf Breeze was stunned silent. The game was almost over by the third quarter with the dolphins seeming like they couldn’t bring this game back by the third. It was 40 -0 but the game wasn’t over. Gulf Breeze got the first points for the team with Tyler Dittmer punching in a run. With this run it locked in Dittmer with his second 2,000 rushing yard season!

The game was over final with a score 40-12.. The Raiders had the won division making their record 8-1 and making the Dolphins have a record of 7-2. Most Gulf Breeze fans were disappointed. However, the Dolphins still made the playoffs not as high of a seed as they would have hoped for.

Gulf Breeze hopefully will use this bad experience into to a learning one to grow and to be a better football team than they were when they played Navarre.