Filed under Sports

Running to the Finish line with Amie Birk

Are you running? Well Amie Birk is! Amie is in eighth grade and won 2nd place in a race. She said,

Are you running? Well Amie Birk is! Amie is in eighth grade and won 2nd place in a race. She said, " I love running, its a way to clear your mind."She inspires runners every where!

On you mark, get set, go! Are you ready to run a race? On October 13, 2018, at 7:30 a.m., Amie Birk was preparing to run the Bridge to Bridge 5k. She did extremely well and took second place in her age group.  According to the Running Wild website, the Bridge to Bridge run is a race that starts at the base of the three-mile Bay Bridge on the Pensacola side and run over the Bay Bridge, into Gulf Breeze, finishing at the at the Bridge Bar and Sunset Lounge. 

Amie is an 8th grader here at Gulf Breeze Middle School and is on the Cross-Country team. Amie said, “I was in third grade when I first got into running.” She has run in over 50 races sense she was nine years old. Many people have different hobbies they enjoy doing, but the way you start doing them is different for everyone. For Amie she said, “I really had nothing else to do and running sounded like a good idea.” She said she never really runs at home, most of the time she is walking her dog, Ashley.  Not many of Amie’s friends run, so if she does run at home she usually runs alone. Other than running in her free time, Amie says, “I like to draw, even though I’m not very good at it.” Besides running and drawing, Amie sometimes will swim or play soccer. There are many different parts to running, whether its learning to keep you pace or how to get faster, you must focus on one thing. Amie says, “You have to just practice and run.”  You also must keep your pace because if you start off sprinting, you will get tired faster and it won’t be fun anymore. 

Ms. Clayton said, “Amie is a great runner and has a great internal drive.”  She also says that Amie is very happy go lucky and is usually smiling. Amie is a very good runner because she always paces herself, never gives up even if she’s behind, or its too hard to do, and always encourages others even when they want to quit. “Amie is a very kind and considerate person. She is always positive and happy. If someone is feeling down, she’ll cheer them up.” She said, Amie is a pretty good student as well. She is in almost all advanced classes. She loves reading, and reads whenever she can, and wherever she can. Amie would be an extremely great role model for kids. She can show them that positivity and perseverance, both come a long way in running. You must believe you’ll make it to the finish line.

Running is a sport used to get cardio going. While it’s not exactly pumping iron, running does works muscles. Running starts with the legs. It tones the calves, shins, hamstrings and quads, but running up a hill works your glutes. Ms. Clayton says, “You must have a good personal drive- you have to want to do it mentally to be a good runner. Runners must be able to push themselves on the inside. No coaches can do that for them. They have to want it, to be successful. The only way to get better is to run! Practice is the key to (most) all sports!” 

If you want to get better at something you practice at it, just like Amie does. If you’re looking to become a runner, keep in mind that you will not always be the fastest runner at first, but if you work at it you could be just as successful as Amie! Amie’s story is so inspiring to others as well.