Filed under Features

GBMS honors veterans in annual breakfast

STUDENT+STAFF.+The+8th+graders+who+made+the+Veteran%27s+Day+breakfast+possible+join+Mr.+Gimbut+at+the+breakfast.+These+students+are+in+Ms.+Freeman%E2%80%99s+history+class.+

STUDENT STAFF. The 8th graders who made the Veteran's Day breakfast possible join Mr. Gimbut at the breakfast. These students are in Ms. Freeman’s history class.

Throughout history, members of the armed forces have gone out and fought for their country, and on November 11, they are honored with Veterans Day. Veterans Day is a special holiday that the nation cherishes every year to honor the men and women who are willing to risk their lives for their country. 

Annually, Ms.Freeman, with the help of several GBMS students and staff, hosts the Veterans Day Breakfast. At this year’s event, the veterans came in as Ms. Freeman’s students greeted them along with the symphonic band playing the Star Spangled Banner. Then breakfast was served in the cafeteria. There were eggs, sausage patties, biscuits, and cinnamon rolls. The people at the brunch were enjoying the company of their families and other veterans. There was even a photo booth provided by the GBMS newspaper staff for the vets so they could take pictures with friends and family.  

WWII U.S. Navy veteran Raymond Gimbut joined GBMS students and families during the annual Veterans Breakfast on November 9, 2018.

After “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the band played a medley of the marches for each branch of the military, and service members were invited to stand as their songs were played. Then, the group was honored to welcome 97-year-old Raymond Gimbut, a WWII veteran who served in the Pacific on the USS Selfridge. His ship was torpedoed and over 50 of his shipmates were killed. He moved to Gulf Breeze a few years ago. Gimbut said, “I’m very proud and humble…and very happy to have served my country.”

Why does GBMS host the Veterans Day Breakfast? Ms. Freeman says, “We host the Veterans Breakfast to honor the men and women who served and fought to keep our country free. Also, it is necessary for students to understand the importance of showing respect for our veterans, and the breakfast provides that opportunity.” Kids do need to understand the importance of respect for  veterans.

SERVE IT UP. Ms. Freeman’s 8th grade students serve food to the veterans. At the end of the breakfast, there was almost no food left.

HUGE TURNOUT. The GBMS cafeteria was full of conversation and laughter as the veterans and their families enjoyed the camaraderie of the day.

KIDDING AROUND. Mr. Specht, one of GBMS’ teacher veterans, and Ms. Hepworth had fun at the photo booth. Everyone enjoyed the presence of the veterans at the breakfast.

1 Comment

One Response to “GBMS honors veterans in annual breakfast”

1. Grace on December 14th, 2018 8:44 am

Loved your coverage of the breakfast!

• Student Life

Spring Break 2019

• GBMS honors veterans in annual breakfast

Spotlight

Mr. Rodriguez, the new student band teacher!

Student Life

Study tips to boost your grade

Features

8 Upcoming fashion trends for 2019

Student Life

YouTubers are taking over the entertainment industry

Student Life

Students love to dance!

Teacher Spotlight

Mr. Ware becomes a new teacher

Features

Quokkas: the selfie craze Down Under!

Student Spotlight

Devon Stamey’s 90 seconds

Student Life

All kids on deck for the NAS field trip