Ms. Cornelius Wins Teacher of the Year!

Ms. Cornelius Wins Teacher of the Year!

Mr. Brandon congratulates Ms. Cornelius on her outstanding accomplishment.

Many students and teachers cheered during announcements as Ms. Christina Cornelius was announced as Teacher of the Year for the 2018-2019 school year. Ms. Cornelius has been teaching at GBMS for 12 years. She currently teaches Language Arts and helps Ms. Smithey’s 5th period band class at GBMS. She loves teaching these classes, but her favorite is “language arts, of course!” 

Ms. Cornelius has never been teacher of the year before, and she is so proud to represent GBMS among other teachers in the county. She stated, “I must admit it is [also] nice to be recognized by my peers.” Ms. Cornelius absolutely loves teaching at GBMS. To her, “…it feels like I’m family with the other teachers and staff.” She also appreciates all the students at GBMS who jump at the chance to learn and participate in exciting activities. Madelyn Sonnenberg, 6th grade, has many positive things to say about Ms. Cornelius.

Madelyn Sonnenberg, 6th grade, says, “I really enjoyed reading Refugee and watching the movie about it.”

Madelyn states, “She is really nice.” Madelyn also enjoys the way she teaches “because she is really helpful and tries to make you understand what she is teaching.” 

Unlike most, Ms. Cornelius did not always know that she just wanted to be a teacher. For her, several events had to occur before realizing she wanted to teach. Before Ms. Cornelius became a teacher, she went to Florida State (“Go Noles!”). Then, she became a paralegal (a person trained with legal matters, but not fully qualified as a lawyer). She states, “It was a job, one that was interesting at times.” However, she said that she did not know yet just how rewarding a job could be.  When Ms. Cornelius’ youngest son, Wil, had to have back surgery at 4 years old, she had to stop working. She stated, “Months later, I decided to substitute teach to keep a flexible schedule as Wil recovered.” It was not until her first day subbing at King Middle School that she realized she should not be helping attorneys, she needed to be helping kids. Ms. Cornelius first taught at Avalon Middle. Later, she decided to start teaching at GBMS because there was a 6th grade language arts position available and she thought, “…it was perfect for me.” Ms. Cornelius states, “I love teaching, but I especially love working with people who have also chosen a career that educates and connects with kids. GBMS teachers and staff are the best!” 

1 Comment

One Response to “Ms. Cornelius Wins Teacher of the Year!”

1. Mrs. Smithey on December 17th, 2018 9:30 pm

Congratulations to Ms. Cornelius!! She is so deserving!! Thanks for writing this article about her!!

• Ms. Cornelius Wins Teacher of the Year!

Teacher Spotlight

GBMS has many amazing substitute teachers

Student Spotlight

Avery Bulla…the next circus performer?

Teacher Spotlight

Ms. Wyrosdick is Rookie of the Year

Teacher Spotlight

Giving a Warm Welcome to Mrs. Weber

Student Spotlight

Lauren Saiter takes flight!

Teacher Spotlight

Positive Ms. Pugh

Student Spotlight

Will Kemp the All Around Super Star!

Student Spotlight

Nicholas Khan tackles the elements

Teacher Spotlight

Mr. Sebastian loves Guinea pigs!

Student Spotlight

Sydney Stillman Plays On

Ms. Cornelius Wins Teacher of the Year!