Filed under News

National Geographic Bee Update

National Geographic Bee Update

WE WON! The three winners of the 2018 geography bee school finals celebrate their victory!
 From left to right are Hector Olivier-Huesca, Cooper Carlock, and Rafael Garcia.

WE WON! The three winners of the 2018 geography bee school finals celebrate their victory! From left to right are Hector Olivier-Huesca, Cooper Carlock, and Rafael Garcia.

UPDATE: Cooper Carlock Named National Geographic GeoBee Florida State Competition Semifinalist by National Geographic Society

HE’S GOING TO STATE! Cooper Carlock was announced as a 2019 National geography bee semifinalist!

Cooper Carlock, Gulf Breeze Middle School 7th grader, has been notified by the National Geographic Society that he is one of the semifinalists eligible to compete in the 2019 National Geographic GeoBee Florida State Competition. The contest will be held at Jacksonville University on Friday, March 29, 2019.

The National Geographic Bee is a contest where students across the country compete for title of national champion. In this competition, students taking part must answer a series of geological questions correctly to move on to the next round. For each level the questions are more difficult than the last. 

The answer is…
Hayden Brown walks up to the mic confidently to answer her question!

This year’s GBMS preliminary round was held in the school library on November 30, 2018, where the top 10 out of 30 participants moved on to the school finals. The GBMS prelim round took place from 1st to 3rd periods, and each student had 15 seconds to answer the question they were given. Round one’s category was “State Savvy,” where students were given a fact along with two states, one of them being the state that fact is from. While some walked up to the mic with complete confidence, others had more nerves. They all gave it their best, and even if they answered incorrectly, they didn’t give up.  Finalists were: Hayden Brown, Cooper Carlock, Zachary Coughlin, Rafael Garcia, Isaac Holderman, Madie Howard, Hector Olivier-Huesca, Adeline Parrish, Dmitry Webber, and Luke White.

December 7 marked the date of the school Geography Bee finals. “It was a heated competition and everyone did a great job!” said Ms. Turk, 6th grade world history teacher and head of the school bee. GBMS’ final-winners in order from first to third were; Cooper Carlock, Rafael Garcia, and Hector Olivier-Huesca. First place winner, Cooper Carlock, will advance to state level Geographic Bee if he succeeds in an online state qualifying test. The top 100 students from the qualifying test will compete, and if they are successful, they will move on to Washington, D.C., to compete in the  championship at the National Geographic Bee. Winner will take title of national champion!