Filed under News

GBMS Super Spellers

8th+grade+winners%3A+third+place-Bianca+Gaitman%2C+first+place-Jack+Miglorisi%2C+and+runner+up-+Kate+Turk.+

GBMS Super Spellers

8th grade winners: third place-Bianca Gaitman, first place-Jack Miglorisi, and runner up- Kate Turk.

GBMS held its annual spelling bee on Tuesday, December 4. A spelling bee is a competition on who can spell the most words correctly without any errors. Each language arts teacher had a class spelling bee, and the one or two students who got the best score from each period moved on to the school competition. Everyone who participated did amazing and gave it their all. Ms. Dasinger and Ms. Calvin organized this competition to make the whole thing possible. The winners of each grade move on to the 43rd annual Sandy Sansing Spelling Bee on January 14 in Pensacola.

According to the organizers of the Sandy Sansing Spelling Bee, “For the 43rd year, Sandy Sansing is making it possible for students in the surrounding area to compete for
bragging rights, cash prizes, and the opportunity for a grade 5-8 winner to compete in the regional competition in Tallahassee.” That competition is called the Big Bend Scripps Regional Spelling Bee, and the winner of that spelling bee gets to go on to the Scripps National Spelling Bee. 

7th grade winners: third place-Jimmy Winchester, first place-Garrett Smith, and runner up-Battle Alberson.

The winners of the GBMS spelling bee include Jack Miglorisi, 8th grade, Garret Smith, 7th grade, and Tyler Perron, 6th grade. The runners up are Kate Turk, 8th grade, Battle Alberson, 7th grade, and Lilly Rafferty, 6th grade. The 3rd place winners are Bianca Gatmaitan, 8th grade, Jimmy Winchester, 7th grade, and Charlie Wycoff, 6th grade. 

The winner for 8th grade, Jack Migliorisi, said, “I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to try something new,” and “I am naturally pretty good at spelling and vocab and thought it would be a good idea to give a shot at the spelling bee.” Jack said that he is now more confident in his spelling and would like to thank Ms. Calvin for helping him to sound out the words in order to spell it correctly.  

The winner for 7th grade, Garrett Smith, said, “I enjoy language arts and thought it would be fun to try and win the spelling bee.” Garrett thinks that Mr. Sebastian has helped him out with the definition and spelling of his words by using other things to relate it to. Garrett also said that some of the words he had to spell correctly were sepia and distortion. 

6th grade winners: third place-Charlie Wycoff, first place- Tyler Perron, and runner up-Lilly Rafferty.

The 6th grade winner, Tyler Perron, said, “I read a lot so that really helped me do well in the spelling bee.” Tyler’s winning word was fiddle faddle, and he said Ms. Dasinger helped him by preparing him.