Filed under Travel

Going to Jamaica

Going to Jamaica

Thanksgiving break began and so did our journey to Jamaica! On November 14, the last thing we expected was to leave at 11:00 p.m. to drive to Orlando to catch our flight at 10:00 a.m. the next day. My parents were taking Molly with us on vacation and my mom got the plane flights wrong; we ended up having to leave suddenly and go straight to the airport to make our flight. The next day, we arrived in Orlando at 6:00 a.m. As we were getting out of the car we rented, my dad forgot his phone, so we had to go back to the parking garage and look for his phone. We checked our rental car and it wasn’t there. We eventually concluded that it was stolen by looking at the app “Life 360” and seeing my dad’s phone strangely moving around as if it were walking. We gave up on his phone; it was time to board the plane. Our trip was off to a rocky start but that wasn’t going to stop us from having an amazing time on our trip.

We landed in Montego Bay, Jamaica and had a 2-hour ride to our resort ahead of us. On our way we saw many men in the army guarding streets and making sure nothing bad or illegal was happening. Along with the army men, we saw how a lot of the people in the towns live. It made us feel very fortunate for what we have, because some people didn’t even have beds to sleep in. We finally got to the resort and it was beautiful! The décor was classy yet beachy and they greeted us with a cold towelette and a rose. We automatically knew it was going to be a great vacation. Now that the problems and stress of traveling through the night and losing a phone were gone, it was time to start our vacation. There was a ton of stuff to do at the resort-including five pools, an arcade called Wired, plenty of places to eat, and the whole resort was on the beach as well. The people who worked at the resort were very kind and welcoming. You could tell that everyone was genuinely happy to have a job and to be working there. Although it was nice for the resort to hire people from Jamaica, we found out that the money the resort earned was not put back into the community. This made my family, Molly, and me disappointed so after knowing this we made sure to buy souvenirs from the local shops.

We did a total of four excursions. Including swimming with dolphins, going cliff diving at The Blue Hole, mud bogging in Ocho Rios, swimming in the luminous lagoon, and tubing down the river that leads into The Blue Hole. This was our first time swimming with dolphins and it was amazing! The dolphins were incredibly smart and listened to the instructors very well. We got to ride them, they laid in our arms, and they pushed us out of the water, we felt like the instructors at sea world! Then we went cliff diving the following day. It was scary but fun. The water felt very cold and refreshing. As soon as we got there, they made us take pictures under a waterfall. It was freezing cold! We both jumped from 15 feet into cold water and it was thrilling. Afterwards, we went mud bogging and this was really fun. We got so messy and had a blast, and Molly got to drive as well. Then during the same day, we went tubing down the white river. This was super fun because we got to look at the scenery and our tour guide was hilarious. He sang songs and told us stories to keep us entertained.  Finally, we went to the luminous lagoon. It carries microorganisms called dinoflagellates. Because of these organisms, the water glowed a bright blue whenever you moved around in the water. All the excursions we went on were so magnificent and we both are so thankful that we got to go on this great trip over the break!

This whole trip we went on was so incredible and we are so lucky we got to visit and explore the beautiful island of Jamaica.