All kids on deck for the NAS field trip

THE+WINGSPAN.++Joshua+Kamm+%2CJack+Salvator+%2Cand+Will+Neff+all+7th+graders+measure+the+wing+span+of+the+the+plane+called++Bearcat.+Will+and+Jack+both+said+%2C%22it+was+a+fun+experience.%22+

All kids on deck for the NAS field trip

THE WINGSPAN.  Joshua Kamm ,Jack Salvator ,and Will Neff all 7th graders measure the wing span of the the plane called  Bearcat. Will and Jack both said ,

THE WINGSPAN. Joshua Kamm ,Jack Salvator ,and Will Neff all 7th graders measure the wing span of the the plane called Bearcat. Will and Jack both said ,"it was a fun experience."

The 14th – 22nd of January was a great time for all 7th graders because the annual flight adventure deck field trip was here. On this field trip, GBMS brought all 7th grade classes in groups of four to go to NAS in Pensacola for this trip. This was a math-based field trip. It was also filled with fun, and was a great way to learn all the functions of airplane and how they have changed over time. 

When the students got there, they split up into the four groups and did three activities (in no order) The flight simulator, allowed students to pilot  their own plane and  navigate to get on to a landing strip and a hangar without the plane crashing. Another activity was the air pressure lab with  staff member Jeddy “Bronco” Ruiz. Bronco explained air pressure with an example of basketballs.The person  with more basketballs is lower pressure and the person with the  least basketballs had the more air pressure. Also, at the plane measuring station kids got into groups of four and measured three real planes: the Wildcat, Hellcat, and the Bearcat. Groups measured all three planes to find the aspect ratio. Noah Allen said, “The simulator was my favorite. It was the best. It felt like I was actually flying.”  Most kids shared Noah’s opinion. The simulator was their favorite station at NAS. At the end all the groups came back together and took a tour with another staff member, Jonathan Runge of the flight adventure camp. The students can do a summer camp  do all the same things students did at the field trip with more complexity. 

Caleb Buccela said, “This field trip was very fun. I learned a lot about all the planes.” Every year most 7th graders look forward to going to the flight adventure field trip. It is a trip where they  not only have fun, but also learn about things that might interest them too. This field trip has been going on for years now. Caleb also said, “this was my favorite field trip.”