All-star Cheer vs. School Cheer

CHEER.+Gulf+Breeze+cheerleaders%2C+are+cheering+for+the+basketball+players+to+get+pumped+up+for+the+game.+Just+like+all+star+cheerleaders+these+girls+practice+just+as+hard.+With+all+of+this+cheer+going+around+you+will+definitely+want+to+become+a+cheerleader.+

All-star Cheer vs. School Cheer

CHEER. Gulf Breeze cheerleaders, are cheering for the basketball players to get pumped up for the game. Just like all star cheerleaders these girls practice just as hard. With all of this cheer going around you will definitely want to become a cheerleader.

Cheerleading is an exciting, lively, and busy sport that would fit almost anyone. There are two types of cheerleading: school cheer and all-star/competitive.  

School cheer is usually cheering for the high school’s football team and/or basketball team. People do have to try out for high school cheer, but they can just join during middle school. In school cheer (or rec cheer) people usually learn cheers to perform at the sports games. In high school there are requirements to meet to be on the team.  

“In order to be a GBHS cheerleader, you must have a positive attitude, good grades, and a strong work ethic,” said Ms. Danielle Djikanovic, the coach for the cheer team at Gulf Breeze High School. They practice 3 or 4 days a week for 1 or 2 hours.  

“The GBHS cheerleaders participate in many community events including walking in the Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Christmas parades, visiting Gulf Breeze and Oriole Beach Elementary schools, and organizing donations for Toys for Tots.” said Mrs. Djikanovic. 8th graders interested in joining high school cheer should start practicing now because tryouts are in April! 

All-star cheerleading is a little bit different from school cheer. The teams mostly practice more often and more advanced skills depending on the level. You do have to “try-out” for a team but its less try-outs and more getting evaluated to be on the right level. For each level there are different requirements for stunts and tumbling. At the end of the cheer season there might be 2 or 3 competitions. 

Overall, cheer is a fun and hard-working sport and almost anyone would like.