GBMS cleans up at the annual County Track Meet!

Amie Birk and Loni Jorgensen (in front) compete in the mile.

The Pace Track meet was on Friday, March 1, 2019. GBMS won again this year. Many students raced to try out, but only the fastest times were able to go. In the meet this year, there were a total of six different schools that GBMS raced against.  

Mrs. Clayton, GBMS PE and Cross-Country coach, selected the group of students to run this year and over the past years Mrs. Clayton has brought around 30 people to the meet. She said that even though she is excited to watch her own son this time, she feels like everyone running on the track are like her kids too. 

Ky Cook, 6th grade, ran the 1600-meter race, or the mile. He said his fastest mile time is around 5:30. Like many other people going to the Pace track meet, he was excited to compete. 

BEST OF THE BEST!
Gracie Miller (Left) was one of the students throwing the discus. Lucianna Vatsolakis (Middle) thres the shot put. Isabella Holley (Right) ran the  second leg in the 4×800 meter relay.

Isabella Holley, 7th grade, ran the 800-meter relay and prior to going said her emotions knowing that she was going to run in the race were “scared, nervous, energetic, and excited.” She also said, “I am excited to run the race because I get to run with my friends.” 

Lucianna Vatsolakis, 7th grade, competed in the shotput, a field event for the meet. She stated, “I am excited because I know I can throw the shotput.” She also said, “I might be nervous, but in my mind, I say let’s go.”  

Gracie Miller, 7th grade, threw the discus, also a field event. She stated, “Before I throw, I feel confident about it.” She was nervous about throwing the discus because she would be throwing against people she has never seen before. 

Many people will be competing, and it will be an exciting day! The GBMS track team will arrive promptly at 9 o’clock and the first race of the day is the 4×800 meter relay. 

Overall, the GBMS girls won 1st place and the boys won 3rd. When the GBMS students weren’t running, they were cheering on the students who were. The results are listed below.