Filed under Sports

NBA All Star game weekend shines bright in Charlotte.

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie IrvingKawhi Leonard, and James Harden all on the same team! This is all possible with NBA All-star weekend. All-star weekend for the NBA is an annual event hosted by different cities around the US,and this year it was in Charlotte, North Carolina February 15th-17th. The weekend usually consists of three main events the 3pt contest, the dunk contest, and the all-star game itself.  The weekend is usually a fun spectacle, and this year was no exception. 

The first event was the 3pt contest. This event is self-explanatory; 10 competitors shoot five racks around the three-point line two rounds with only three moving on to the finals. The contestants were Devin Booker, Seth Curry, Steph Curry, Danny Green, Joe Harris, Buddy Hield, Damian Lillard, Kris Middleton, Kemba Walker, and Dirk Nowitzki. Going into the event the favorites were Steph and Seth Curry, but only Steph made it into the finals. The finalists were Buddy Heild with a score of 26, Joe Harris score 25, and Steph Curry score 27. In the finals, it was a surprise with Joe Harris from the Brooklyn Nets winning with a score of 26. 

The next event was the dunk contest. The rules are simple,four competitors including Dennis Smith Jr, Miles Bridges, Hamidou Diallo, and John Collins. Players do flashy dunks and five judges rank them on a scale of 1-10.  Miles Bridges and John Collins didn’t do so well, both doing sub-par dunks in the first and second round.The great dunks came in the last two rounds with the last two competitors Hamidou Diallo and Dennis Smith ,Jr. Smith was a vet almost winning the competition last year. People knew he could throw down some monster dunks.  Hamidou Diallo, a rookie for the Oklahoma City Thunder, he was the one who shined the brightest in this contest. His first two dunks were  good enough to get into the finals where he jumped over 7’ 1” hall of famer   Shaquille O’ Neil!  The crowd went wild Dennis Smith jumped rapper JCole, but Diallo had won. What a performance !

Now, the All-Star game. This game is the bre ad and butter for most NBA super fans seeing their favorite players battle it out. Most years its east versus west, but last year they changed it to a draft, where the two players with the most votes got to pick their teams. This year, the two captains were LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo. Lebron had a team of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kahwi Leonard, James Harden Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson, Damian Lillard, Ben Simmons, LaMarcus Aldrige, Karl-Anthony Towns, Bradley Beal, and Dwyane Wade. Giannnis picked Steph CurryJoel Embiid, Paul Geroge, Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton, Nikola Jokic, Russel Westbrook, Blake Griffin, D’Angelo Russell, Nikola Vucevic, Kyle Lowry, and Dirk Nowitki.This game was packed with the NBA’s past, present, and future. The hype around this game was flaming hot. Everyone wanted to see what was going to happen. Team LeBron was the favorite going into this game, but team Giannis was ready. The first and second quarters were all his team. Giannis wanted to win and get the All-star MVP. Curry and Kris Middleton helped too. Curry was throwing some crazy lobs.  He bounced the ball off the ground and Giannis grabbed the lob. Score at halftime 93- 79 Giannis team taking a commanding lead, but no one counted out LeBron. In the third quarter it was a different story with Dame Lillard Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant pulling team LeBron out of the hole now closer. It was more of the same in the fourth as team LeBron came back for the win ,178-164, with the NBA All-star game MVP being Kevin Durant with 31 points according to ESPN.  

The NBA  nailed this weekend with the Dunk 3pt contests and the AllStar game itself.