Mr. Rodriguez, the new student band teacher!

SPECTACULAR STUDENT TEACHER: Mr. Rodriguez, a student teacher who helped in band, enjoyed working with the students. “He is already a wonderful teacher, ” said Ms. Smithey.

In the halls of GBMS there was a student who looked like a teacher. This was Mr. Rodriguez. “He wanted to learn as much as he could so that he can be the best possible teacher for his future students,” said Mrs. Smithey. He started on January 7, 2019, here at GBMS. He stayed until March 8, 2019. Mr. Rodriguez was here to learn all about how to become a teacher.  

Mr. Rodriguez has dreamed of being a teacher since he was young. “I did band in middle school and in high school. In high school, I started helping freshman in band,” stated Mr. Rodriguez. He grew up in Escambia County, Florida. He went to middle school at Jim C. Bailey Middle and went to high school at Escambia High and started college at Pensacola State. Now, he is currently enrolled at UWF, working hard to finish his degree and fulfill his dream of being a teacher.  

However, his job was to help band students in beginning band and in varsity band. He motivated the students to become more encouraged in themselves during band or if they get off task, he kindly guided them back on task.  He also helped get the students get “warmed up.” He did scales with them. That is when the students practice their  notes to help them play better during class.  

Although, it might have seemed like Mr. Rodriguez was a teacher, he was learning too. “He had great questions and was eager to discuss ways to improve,” mentioned Mrs. Smithey.

Mr. Rodriguez was always learning new things from Mrs. Smithey. “She was very positive and helpful,” said Mr. Rodriguez.  

With all this teaching, he had to have some fun as well. Mr. Rodriguez  mentioned all his fun experiences at GBMS. His favorite was “working with middle school students…(specifically) GBMS drum line.” 

All in all, Mr. Rodriguez learned from our wonderful band teacher, Mrs. Smithey, how to become a teacher.  He was guided into the direction of becoming a future teacher who might even teach at GBMS one day. He really wants to teach here, but he could get another teaching job anywhere. So, we wish Mr. Rodriguez a farewell and hope that he gets to teach here in the future