Filed under News

Students win big at the River Walk Arts Festival!

RIBBON+WORTHY-+Winners+from+the+River+Walks+Arts+Festival+have+their+art+displayed+in+the+hallway.+Laney+Farmer%2C+8th+grade%2C+won+title+of+Best+in+Show.+She+says%2C+%E2%80%9CI+made+one+last+year+and+she+%28Ms.+Hughes%29+told+me+I+could+make+a+better+one+this+year.%E2%80%9D++

RIBBON WORTHY- Winners from the River Walks Arts Festival have their art displayed in the hallway. Laney Farmer, 8th grade, won title of Best in Show. She says, “I made one last year and she (Ms. Hughes) told me I could make a better one this year.”

On Saturday, March 2, 2019, the River Walk Arts Festival took place in downtown Milton, and the hard work of students at GBMS paid off. Students won awards for participating in the All County Creative Writing Contest, and for their art. 

In the Creative Writing Contest, students had the option to write a poem, short story, or essay. All writing was judged by Pensacola State professors whose expertise is in the literary section. According to Mrs. Lisa Player, there were over a thousand entries. She says, “…the competition was fierce.” The first places in each section got to be in the All County Creative Writing Expression Booklet. That same winner of each section moved on to compete for the title of the overall winner of their school section (Middle or High).

WRITE-FUL WINNERS- Students who participated in the Creative Writing Contest won big for GBMS. One of the student, Sophia Mayor, in 8th grade, won third in the eight grade essay portion. She said that, “…a chance to work on my writing skills…” made her want to compete.

For the essay portion, there were only 6th grade and 8th grade winners from GBMS. Sarah Frazee, in 6th, won first. Sarah’s essay was about teamwork, and she joined the contest to see how far she would go. She says, “Now I know that I’m really good at writing.” 

Evan LaFon, also in 6th, won in secondEvan’s essay was about the evolution of baseball bats. He says that, “…baseball is my passion.” 

Dara Stokes, 6th grade, won for honorable mention. Dara’s writing was about a more personal subject. She says that her strength in writing comes from writing about personal experiences.  

There were 8th grade winners such as Stella Shallardwho won 2nd. Her essay was about imagining if “what if’s” or “ifs” came true.  

Sophia Mayor, in 8th, won third. Sophia’s essay was about a pause in history, when the world stopped to see one important thing. 

The poetry portion had many winners from GBMS.   

Vincent Gobble won as honorable mention for 6th grade. Vincent’s poem was about the sea. He says that Maya Angelou, a poet and civil rights activist, inspired him to write this poem. 

Nicholas Collins, in 7th, came in 3rdNicholas’s poem was about how time flows. He was inspired to write this when thinking about how fast people grow in such a short amount of time.  

In 8th grade, Amelia Hoitt won 2nd place. Amelia’s poem was about being yourself.  

Ava Kesler, in 8th, won for honorable mention. Ava’s poem was a personification about Gulf Breeze. 

The Short Story had no winners from GBMS that were in 7th and 8th grade, but there were 6th grade winners.  

Jonathan Gulley came in 1st for short story. It was about a World War Two pilot from Germany, who got captured in France. He had been reading about historical fiction lately, and he wanted to try and write about for a change. 

Isaac Holderman won 3rd. Isaac said that his short story was about two kids who are transported into a magical relm where the natives are animals with elemental powers. However, the world is ruled by wolves and the two children are tasked to help the other animals take the world back. 

Declan Suttman won title of honorable mention. Declan said that his story was about a phoenix who was out on quest.  

The only writer from GBMS who won something in the portion where all Middle Schoolers were combined was Jonathan Gulley. He got honorable mention in the overall middle school section! 

English Language arts teachers of these award-winning students include Ms. Margaret Dasinger, Mr. Mark Sebastian, Ms.Player, and Ms. Linda Brothers.  

Ms. Dasinger spoke about her student, Vincent, and said, “I’m so happy for him. He was really excited he won…”  

Mr. Sebastian speaks about his student and says that he is very proud. He says, “…poetry sometimes seems like a dying art, and to know that one of my students is keeping it alive is inspiring.”  

Ms. Brothers said that it was great to have so many winners in the Creative Writing Winners. She says, “They worked very, very hard. They had to edit, revise… edit, revise… edit, revise many times.”  

Ms. Player says, “All of my student did an amazing job.” 

In the art section of the River Walk Arts Festival, there was several winners from GBMS. Laney Farmer in 8th grade won best in show. She says that Ms. Rachel Hughes, GBMS’s own art teacher for grades 6, 7, and 8, inspired her to make her awardwinning art. She says, “I made one last year and she told me I could make a better one this year.”  

Alya Downs, in 6th grade, won 1st place in the drawing category. She says, “…I just thought it’d be cool if I used different skin tones throughout the face instead of one color.”  

Madailynn Cengeri, in 8th, got the win for 1st place in painting. She says, “We were supposed to make a Christmas painting and I thought, ‘eh…bird.’”  

Lily Green won 3rd for graphics. She did make a sunflower because everybody else was making the same flower.  

Isabelle Gatmaitan won 3rd in painting. Florida wildlife inspired her to make her painting.  

Ms. Hughes says that it is the best to have so many students win the writing contest and that she is very proud. 

All the writing in that won a 1st place title over all in their section got to be featured in the All County Creative Writing Expression Booklet. In case you are curious to read it, look out for it in the GBMS Media Center. Art that won in the contest is featured in the hallway, by Ms. Cobb’s classroom, just in case you want to get a better look of the contestants’ art.