Filed under Student Life

The many struggles of a redhead

The many struggles of a redhead

Coral Coad and Meredith Pugh, 8th grade, say cheese for National Redhead day. Photo Credit: Mrs. Pugh

“Oh my gosh! I love your hair! Can I touch it?”  

“Hey, can I call you red?”  

“Are you going to be Ariel for Halloween?”  

These are some of the most common questions people with red hair get asked. From experience, getting called the “redhead” of your class is not, to quote James Charles, “fun or fresh.” Having red hair can be great… sometimes, but other times it’s incredibly annoying. If you have red hair, you will understand these struggles.  

• Struggle number one: Everyone thinking you’re going to be Ariel for Halloween. Just because I have red hair doesn’t mean that I need to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid, Merida from Brave, or any other character with red hair.  
  • Struggle number two: People asking, “is your hair real?” Yes, it’s real. Then they go on to tell you how much people pay to have your hair and how they would trade hair with you any day. Not that that’s a bad thing, compliments are always appreciated, but hearing it every day can get a little agitating. 
  • Struggle number three: Everyone always telling you to, “NEVER DYE YOUR HAIR!” Us redheads understand that our hair is “special” and “unique” but sometimes change is good… and a little dye never hurt anyone! 
  • Struggle number four: Those sayings. “Gingers have no souls.” “Every redhead is Irish.” “Gingers become vampires when they die.” NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE. STOP MAKING THEM UP.  
  • Struggle number five: People thinking we are going extinct. There may be more brunettes, but that doesn’t mean that redheads are going to die out.  
  • Struggle number six: Getting called the, “redhead of the class.” I have learned that anytime someone describes me, the first thing they say is, “she is the one with red hair.” I guess when all my classmates graduate, they will remember me as the redhead.  
  • Struggle number seven: People asking you if they can call you red, or when one day you walk in class and they just start calling you ginger. I HAVE AN ACTUAL NAME THAT I WOULD LIKE TO GO BY. At least ask first.  
  • Struggle number eight: Everyone always coming up to you and randomly touching your hair. We get that people like our hair, but sometimes we just having greasy hair days, and no one needs to feel the greasiness. Especially without asking.  
  • Struggle number nine: Constantly being sunburnt! Every time you leave your house. 
  • Struggle number ten: When you don’t wear mascara, people think your eyelashes fell off. Our eyelashes are still there, there just too light in color to see. 

Meredith Pugh, 8th grade, states that her least favorite part about having red hair is that she, “Can’t wear certain colors because of the color of my hair.”  

Now, don’t get us redheads wrong, we love our hair… most of the time. We wouldn’t trade it for the world. Although there are many struggles, there are also many positives. According to buzzfeed.com, “Only two percent of the population has red hair.” That’s pretty cool! We don’t get lost in crowds and many famous pieces of art include red heads. We also have a national day just for gingers. November 5, is National Redhead Day. Shout out to all the redheads, because we are amazing.  

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The many struggles of a redhead”

1. Reese Braun on April 18th, 2019 9:40 am

This article is amazing! I loved reading it. Thank you for making amazing articles.

2. Coral Coad on April 23rd, 2019 7:48 am

Thank you so much!

3. payton z on April 29th, 2019 10:01 am

I love this article! Especially as a fellow redhead!!

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Fun Camps to Make the Most of Summer

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Middle school: the start, the growth, the end

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Furbo makes things easier

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Dugas/Moran sail their way to the Midwinter Championship

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Get yourself a job!

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Spring Break 2019

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Study tips to boost your grade

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

YouTubers are taking over the entertainment industry

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

Students love to dance!

• The many struggles of a redhead

Student Life

All kids on deck for the NAS field trip

The many struggles of a redhead